5-year-old having accidents

My daughter is 5 1/2 years old. She will start Kindergarten in August and I'm worried about her still having accidents in her pants. She has been peeing and sometimes pooping a little in her pants for a couple of years now. At first, I thought it was just part of potty training, but now it happens a lot. She'll wait until the last minute sometimes to go to the bathroom, and when she does wet herself, it's like it doesn't even bother her. She is having anywhere from 1-3 accidents a day (some days we're lucky and go without any!)

Does anyone else have this issue and what do I do? I've tried taking away toys, time outs, everything I can think of. I don't want her to be made fun of when she starts school :(

DanceInTheRain

Asked by DanceInTheRain at 4:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would try positive reinforcement. Every day that she gets through without an accident she gets some kind of reward....it just sounds like she's being kind of lazy about it so that might motivate her.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i have a 5 1/2 year old stepdaughter shes in kindergarden right now , when she was in head start she had accidents but the humilitation is what made her go to the potty instead of having an accident. She didnt like the kids who made of her so she learned when to go sometimes let down or disappoitment is what they need to learn. The comfort of home isnt enough for them to learn, i dont mean to sound mean but it worked for her. And shed have accidents sometimes after and when we asked her why she didnt go to the bathroom shed just shrug , we later found out she liked the attention of someone taking care of her. Put it all happens in good time she will learn. Good Luck!
    1timemom1108

Answer by 1timemom1108 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I am having the same problem. My husband just called to tell me that she actually wet the bathroom floor at gymnastics today. This is exasperating. She just doesn't want to miss anything by taking the time to go! I am going to the grocery store on the way home and buying the biggest pull-ups I can find because I have tried everything else! We are cleaning up her tush at least once every other day!
    DTHB

Answer by DTHB at 5:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009