What is affirmtive action?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When you have to hire people of different races. You have to have so many from each race.
    Anonymous

• "When you have to hire people of different races. You have to have so many from each race."

Whether they are qualified or not, that's what kills me!
    Anonymous

• Whether they are qualified or not, that's what kills me!

Me Too!! Imagine getting turned down for a job because they have to fill it with someone less qualified who happens to be the "right color".

Maybe they should try affirmative action in sports too?? I don't think it would go over very well.
    Anonymous

• read the question i think that is RACISM?WHAT?ya i can see affirmitive action coming into play here.
    Anonymous

• When you get something you haven't earned due to race or sex.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

Actually, that is incorrect.  If one person is more qualified than the other, and the more qualified person happens to be caucasian, then you can hire them.  If the person of a different race/nationality is more qualified, then that is who should be hired.

Affirmative Action is in affect to ensure that everyone is treated equally, and that an employer gives opportunity to all races, and not show preference to just one race.

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Its a bunch of BS!
    Anonymous

• I know it can be a challenge for business owners.

In the 3 years I have been in business I've had apps from 2 races. Only 1 from one race and quite a few from the other.

The 1 person from 1 race interview: I explained the job; no experience needed because we train and flexible hours We also pay double minimum wage or our state. Additionally the items we manufacture are sold at an very low cost for those with disabilities so you get a little feel good for the work you do.

I get ready to go into my do you think you might like this spiel she tells me it's not really what she's looking for. I say okay I understand...thanks...ect. She then pulls out a DHS form from our state and asks me to sign it. WHAT? I am ready to offer a job, she doesn't want it but wants me to sign her PA form saying she is looking.

I didn't sign but did contact DHS.

Careful before you bash me, I know the rest of the story.....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My husband got a job due to affirmative action. He's a white male and got a teaching job cause they need more male teachers.
    Anonymous

• yourspecialkid- what was that for, unemployment? sick.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009