Racism??? WTH???

Has anyone here heard of the issue going on in New Haven, CT with the Fire Dept??

I've seen it on the news for the past 2 nights. Apparently a bunch of people took a test for a promotion, and because only caucasians passed the test, the minority advocate groups, like the NAACP, are up there crying racism and they are trying to get the test thrown out because it is "unfair".

Basically no one is getting the job until they structure a test that a non-causasian can pass. What the @#$&!!

Since when does a test have to be structured for a particular race? Doesn't studying account for anything anymore?? Are they going to start structuring school classes for each race too?

WTH is this world coming to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• had my own racism issues going on lately.i am not racist at all,but i must say there does seem to be a double standard....what is good for the goose doesnt seem to be as good for the gander...
    Anonymous

• This story is infuriating! So what, now we tip the test so more minorities can get promotions....yeah, THATS fair *sarcasm*. They took a test and didn't make it. The town was SO worried about being sued for racism that they threw the test out. Stupid.

By the way they keep referring to it as "reverse" racism......Noooooo, it's just plain old fashioned racism.  The reverse of racist is NOT racist.

Anonymous

• If the firefighters who are complaining didnt get the promotion than it means they did not qualify, plain and simple.
    Anonymous

• Don't believe everything the media says. There is probably more to the story than what is told. Research a little more to see what exactly happend.
    Anonymous

• Actually it IS illegal under Title VII (Employment discrimination law). Any test an employer gives cannot be such as only one race can pass the test - if so, then the test can be considered discriminatory. Title VII has been around since the 1960's.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Wait I think you have it the other way around OP. The discrimination is happening to the White firefighters and they are claiming that the black and latino firefighters are given a "free pass"when it comes to promotions. I will look for a link.
    Anonymous

• This issue has been around for about 40 years.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-webpreview-race-discriminationapr22,0,2488602.story
    Anonymous

• I hope they rule in favor of the fire fighters. This is pretty messed up. I dont think people should get things based on their race, no matter what color they are. I also think it says alot that there is a hispanic man involved n this lawsuit as well, and its not just white guys. If they want more minorities to pass the test, then have study groups for them or something, but dont throw out the test.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I have to ask....HOW the h*ll is the test skewed to make it racist? If I were a minority I would find it insulting that the state of CT thought that I was too stupid to pass a test that my white counter parts could.

Anonymous