Has anyone owned an Afghan Hound?

My parents owned them when I was younger and I loved them. I am going to look at one this week and want to know what to look for in a puppy. I want a sweet family dog and I know sometimes they can be a standoffish. Anyway, any advice would be great!
Thanks!

klotztheatre

Asked by klotztheatre at 5:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pets

• I haven't, but they sure are gorgeous! I would love to own one but have no desire to deal with the necessary grooming. Good luck.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had an Afghan mix... she was 1/2 Lab 1/2 Afghan and was wonderful.. tragically, we had to put her to sleep 2 years ago.
    I love Afghans and they are my "dream" breed, but dh detests them and thinks that they are ugly. (blows raspberry in his direction)
    As a breed, yes they can be very standoffish..they have the diva mentality that they are royalty. LOL They are wonderful with children and can be very loving when it strikes their fancy.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009