Is anyone else scared shitless of SIDS?

I read all these things to do to prevent SIDS, but they say they don't know what causes it or really how to prevent it. They even say babies are healthy prior to dying from SIDS and often die in their sleep. WHat?! Is there anything I can do other than worry and wait it out?

COgle3

Asked by COgle3 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is why I breastfed and co-slept. And used a paci at night. Whatever I could do to cut down the risks.
    Anonymous

• I used to be but she is almost a year old. But i sill check her atleast 5 times before i goto sleep
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 5:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I am 6 months pregnant and I am already worrying about SIDS. I feel like I should stay up every night with my baby boy when he is born until he is like 1 to make sure he doesn't die of SIDS in his sleep. So yes I am terrified as well and have no idea what you are supposed to do to make sure it doesn't happen.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It freaks me out too. My cousin died of SIDS so I'm naturally paranoid. I don't hink there's much to do to prevent is. My nurse told me back to sleep and a pacifier while sleeping helps. I still get up and check on him all the time. I can't help it. I also have the angel monitor that has motion sensors that check for breathing.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• People are going to bash me for this, and I don't care.

I disregarding anything anyone said to me about SIDS. They don't know what causes it, so how in the hell do "they" know what to do to prevent it? That is just absurd. There are basic things to be done - don't give your child a loose blanket prior to them being able to move it off of their face themselves. Duh. Don't lay your baby (intentionally - some babies roll) on their stomachs to sleep until they are old enough to roll over. Duh.

There are more realistic things, IMO, that you can worry about. I didn't waste my time, and in return I was a much happier mother.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Honestly most of the stories I read were yeah called SIDS but the child was in the bed with the parents, I think one of the parents rolled on the child. Also the other stories were because they put blankets on their child or they put them to sleep on their stomach and they couldn't turn their head over so they died. It's the parents faults, I worried for the first 6 months with both my kids, always getting up checking on them, but they were fine. They both slept in fitted onesies with no blanket or pillow or stuffed animals and no crib liner and they were fine. They never slept in the bed with us UNLESS we had a bed sleeper (it's two tube looking things that are connected and the child sleeps in between them so you can't roll over and they can't). Everything is fine as long as you let them sleep on their backs and without any thing in the crib or basinet!!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 5:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i worried about it, but going crazy over it is like driving down the road going crazy thinking every car is going to hit you. you do what you can to prevent it and stay safe. but really is there anything we can do if no one knows what causes it? if you are overly worried about it get one of those monitors that checks motion and breaths and it will go off if the breathing or motion slows too much
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• ya i freak out all the time, but i always lay my son on his back-eventho he is 8 months old and rolls over to his belly anyways, and I give him a paci for bedtime it reduces the risks..I am with you
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• no reason to worry. You can't do anything about it. If you start worrying about all the things you can't control you won'ot have much of a life. YOu can't walk, you can't drive, you can't go outside, but you can't stay home! :) Just enjoy your child as much as you can that way if anything ever does happen (sids or not) you know you took care of your child.
    Anonymous

• My dearest friend lost her little boy to SIDS many years ago. When I had my daughter I was so paranoid over SIDS. My DD is 23 months now and I ALWAYS pass on information to new mothers about SIDS prevention. Just the other day I nicely suggested to a girlfriend that she should buy a new mattress for her baby's crib and not one from the flea market. Educating yourself and talking to your doctor about SIDS concerns is the best tool for preventing it.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009