can someone clarify this for me? (relates to methodism and alcohol)

¶ 162 L) Alcohol and Other Drugs—We affirm our long-standing support of abstinence from alcohol as a faithful witness to God’s liberating and redeeming love for persons. We support abstinence from the use of any illegal drugs.

Since the use of illegal drugs, as well as illegal and problematic use of alcohol, is a major factor in crime, disease, death, and family dysfunction, we support educational programs as well as other prevention strategies encouraging abstinence from illegal drug use and, with regard to those who choose to consume alcoholic beverages, judicious use with deliberate and intentional restraint, with Scripture as a guide.

So Does this mean I cant have a glass of wine with my husband at dinner or when we are sitting outside in the summer? I am not talking about getting drunk or partying.......

sugarmagnolia1

Asked by sugarmagnolia1 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, it does not. It states the illegal and problematic use of alcohol. It's not illegal to drink, and it's not problematic to have a glass with your husband at dinner, or just winding down relaxing. As long as you don't get drunk, drive over the legal limit, or become an alcoholic, then I think you're fine.

Enjoy your journey.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 6:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I was always told it was ok as long as you don't get "drunken" with whatever you are doing....ie don't make it an addiction or over do it. I am not sure with Methodist law though....have you ever thought of asking your pastor?
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 5:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes it is fine.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Actually I am thinking about converting from Judaism so I dont have a Pastor yet. I called a local church today to make a time to see him but he hasnt called back yet. I just came across this in my research. I thought it would be ok too because it does say "problematic use of alcohol" and I dont think a glass of wine while doing a puzzle is problematic.
    sugarmagnolia1

Answer by sugarmagnolia1 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Not sure about methodist doctrine etc. However, the bible does not say it's a sin to drink... it speaks of getting drunk and strong drinks.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The Bible teaches against drunkenness and revelry. I personally don't drink at all. The first reason was that before I was a Christian I was an alcoholic. Jesus saved me from that and I don't trust myself with alcohol. I love it too much. I don't ever want to go back to that lifestyle that Jesus rescued me from.

The second reason I don't drink is because the Bible tells us that if there is anything that could stumble someone, we shouldn't do it. I know that since my hubby is a Pastor, and someone saw me drinking a beer in Applebee's it wouldn't be good. Some people (like myself) have problems with it. So I would rather abstain from it and prevent someone with a problem from being stumbled.

If I were you I would pray and ask the Holy Spirit to tell you if it is okay for you. Make sure you aren't stumbling other people and you are still being a holy example.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I ran out of room, but I just wanted to say God Bless!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I just reread my answer and it sounds different than I meant it to. I sound up-ity!!! ha ha. I should have just answered your question first. Yes, according to that description you can enjoy a glass of wine outside with your hubby. "with regard to those who choose to consume alcoholic beverages, judicious use with deliberate and intentional restraint, with Scripture as a guide."

I don't know why I didn't just say that first. You didn't ask if we drink!!! ha ha. I just refrain for personal reasons.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009