How do you motivate yourself to clean when you don't want to? lol

My kids (my 3 & 4 yr old) have been sick all week. Hubby has been working all week as well, but does help when he can. Kids have been up at all hours. I am exhausted! My house is a wreck. My laundry is backed up. I feel like I'm a horrible mother. But I am just so tired. I have company coming over Sunday, so I know I have to get stuff done. But more importantly I would love to make sure it's clean for when my hubby gets home. I'm not always like this but I just feel so defeated! lol. I can't seem to get motivated. What do you ladies do when you're feeling like this? I could sure use some advice. Thanks ladies! Appreciate it. :)

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 5:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sometimes, you have to sit back and relax your mind from being supermom...if you've always kept a clean house then lettin git get behind is hard. I know from experience but i also know that you can take a room at a time to do without stressing yourself out over it...with company coming sunday, you still have plenty of time to get the house back up to your standards without pushing yourself over your limit...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Honey, if I could come over and do it for you, I would. You have so much to do right now. Take care of the babies as they need you right now. I am sure your husband will understand. Also, you might consider cancelling your company. Just make sure you take care of your kiddos.

Big Hug for you!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• UGHHH! I know exactly how you feel!!! I can't seem to get motivated to do anything either. I have found that if I at least get started on something, the motivation starts to follow. Once I get the kitchen done, it seems like everything else get easier. The kitchen always has to be first and once it's done, I feel much more motivated. I think it helps to put some up beat music on too. Best Wishes hope you get everything done that you need to!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• smoke a joint
    Anonymous

• Honestly, I have been feeling like that for a while. Seems I can't get caught up and do all the deep cleaning I need to do. I am trying now to just take one room at a time because I tend to dwell too much on the big picture and get SOOOO overwhelmed. If I do one room at a time it seems to get done faster because otherwise I tend to go back and forth between different rooms and I can't see one solid chunk of progress. Start with the worst room first, and work your way down....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• check flylady.net's crisis cleaning

http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlyingLessons_crisiscleaning.asp

I HATE cleaning with a passion but with her tips it kind of became a game... (it took a few cycles lol) anyway it got me going and I was sick myself so it's worth a shot.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I set the timer for 10 minutes in each room, turn the music up really loud and clean as much as I can before the buzzer goes off. You would be surprised at how much you can get done. Sometimes it gets me going to see a little improvement. Also- when things are really a mess I sweep everything up in the middle of the floor, sit and sort it out in piles and use a laundry basket to put it away. Hope your kids get feeling better soon.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Just wanted to say thank you to all of you who left me comments. It has helped me out. I really do appreciate ya'll takin time to message me!!!! I have some hope now...lol!
    emtaglover

Answer by emtaglover at 6:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Do you have a crockpot? You can dump in some beans, veggies, spices, and water and a wonderful meal will appear as if by magic! Feel free to contact me for recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I just wanted to commiserate! My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago and with all of the running around for funeral arrangments and accomodating family I haven't gotten much done. On top of that, I was given a lot of my grandparent's things so I have dinning room full of things with no homes yet. My mother emptied my entire highschool bedroom into my home one day also because she was having family stay with her for the funeral. Soooo I have so much to sort out it just looks like my life exploded!!! On top of it all my son is just started crawling and is getting clingy so watching him requires extra vigilance. I can't clean while he's awake and when he's sleeping I am sooo tired I don't get anything done at all. I just can't do it. I have no idea when I'll get it sorted out...

So all I can say is, you're not alone! I am also an imperfect mother. But I still love my son with every ounce of my heart!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009