Medication while pregnant?

So I went to the doctors yesterday (I have a bladder infection) and the doctor gave me some antibiotics and on the prescription bottle it says "check with your doc. if you plan to become pregnant while using this medication, I'm 16 weeks pregnant today and I'm wondering if it's safe to take while pregnant? (the doc. knew I was pregnant when he prescribed it to me) Should I call before taking this medicine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would double check just in case. There could be a chance your pregnancy slipped his mind when he prescribed the medicine. Won't hurt to double check.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I always went to my ob even for a respritory infection while I was pregnant just to make sure that I wasn't given something unsafe.
    Anonymous

• All medications are going to say this. No medication is 100% absolutely safe during pregnancy. There are different classes of medications. Class B is the safest to take while pregnant. I am sure that this antibiotic falls in this class. Your doctor would not have prescribed to you a medication if you did not need it. The benefits of the antibiotic surely outweigh the side effects. (Class B medications are not known to harm the baby. You may experience nausea and diarrhea.)
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 5:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Call your ob just in case. I had to take penicilin for an infection and that was safe. But double check with your OB and/or pharmacist, to be safe.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• call you pharmicist he would know.
    Anonymous

• what is teh name of the antibiotic - amoxicillin is usually prescribed for infections in pregnancy.
    Rngrad_2006

Answer by Rngrad_2006 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• doesnt hurt to double check, my niece had her wisdom teeth pulled and she told the dentist she was pregnant and he prescribed her something, well she was nervous and asked the nurses at her dr.'s office and they said it was safe too, well still paranoid she asked her dr. while in an appointment and the dr, threw a fit because turns out that prescription was not safe!
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• if the doctor knew you were pregnant and gave them to you anyway, they should be fine. i had a UTI when i was 6 weeks and they gave me antibiotics. i'm 17 weeks tomorrow and as of last week when i went for my checkup, babys fine
    amberwriteslove

Answer by amberwriteslove at 11:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009