My Mom offered to stay with us for the first week after the baby was born, should I say yes?

boobers11

Asked by boobers11 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you should. We never had anyone help or even offer to help after either of our boys were born. Which I thought they would. I would ahve loved the help. Anything really. Best wishes and good luck.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If she is coming to help with things like housework and cooking and watching the baby for an occassional nap I would say yes, but I know a lot of people want to come and "help" by taking the baby 24/7 which is something I would HATE! Just know the intentions of the word "help" and as long as you are comfortable with it than go for it.
    Anonymous

• DEFINITLY SAY YES. my mom was there for me and my huhsband and everyone and it was great i got privacy when i needed it and when i needed help i got it so say yes then you wont get stresseed or anything liek that
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 6:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i would ask her to come after a few days. maybe when baby is 2 or 3 days old. that way you have a little time to figure some stuff out on your own, and get kind of a routine down. i had my mom wait til then but we don't get along that well. if you do and you want her there than say yes. take all the help you can get right now. b/c in about a month people stop offering
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you want her to than why not? It's always nice to have experienced help around. Some people don't even have the chance to have their mother help them. However if you don't feel comfortable with it or you don't really want her around than don't do something you don't want to do.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I honestly would say no. I think that the help is more needed after the first week or two - the first couple of weeks is time that you and your baby are getting to know each other, and sleeping a ton. I know I didn't want anyone to come over for the first couple weeks.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes, but if I can make a suggestion, you should have her come when the baby is 3 or 4 weeks. The first two weeks are cake cause the baby is mainly sleeping, but once 3 weeks rolls around, they wake up and suddenly it becomes really overwhelming, at least that's what happened to me.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would definatly say yes, but make sure you set boundaries first, such as her helping with cooking, cleaning, whatever she's comfortable with, rather than holding the baby 24/7! :) It's nice to have someone else there to even keep an eye on the baby so you can shower in that 1st week!
    Mum_of_4

Answer by Mum_of_4 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes!! Your body will be healing and you will be too tired for any housework or cooking for a while! I agree with pp on that she should help more with cooking and cleaning than holding the baby 24/7, but still let her know she'll have plenty of baby time.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you would like. Or if you would rather have some alone time with your baby... have her come a week later. We wanted alone time at first and didn't have people come to stay until he was older.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009