I'm pregnant and nursing a 7 month old, if I lose my supply are there any tips on how to get her to take formula?

I'm paranoid that I'm not giving her enough milk on my own. So yesterday after I nursed her she was acting hungry so I tried to give her a bottle with some formula and she sucked for a few seconds and then wouldn't let me put it in her mouth again. I fed her myself again, but never felt let down that second time.

If I end up having to give her formula, even for 1-2 feedings a day are there any tips on how to get her to take it?

Just so you know she nurses 5 times a day and eats solids 3 times and usually has a snack of a graham cracker or gerber puffs.

julipickle2

Asked by julipickle2 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped what I could and mixed my milk with the formula. I started with just a little formula, and added more each time as he got a taste for it. Good luck.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree with warren...if you worry that you are losing your supply, use half breast milk half formula and it will help her adjust to the flavor. Just a word of warning though...if you are trying to keep breastfeeding, the more you supplement (the less you demand yourself to make) the faster you are going to lose your supply.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• do not worry about losing your supply-do not suplement with formula or you will lose your supply. The more you nurse the more you make. Eat oatmeal daily, drink Mothers Milk tea by traditional medicials, drink TONS of water (You are responsible for 3 people now). Join a breastfeeding group for support too. They are very helpful.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• MOMMA DO NOT DRINK MOTHERS MILK TEA!!! It has fenugreek and that is dangerous when preggers!!!!

Nurse nurse nurse, give no formula until you HAVE to...even then ask in the milk share group about donated Bm for your daughter, I bet she'd take that over formula.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2009