I want to be able to breastfeed, but am taking meds. Are there any moms that are currently taking anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety meds and still able to breastfeed?

Soon2BMommy2009

Asked by Soon2BMommy2009 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i havent had my child yet but have spoken to my doctor bout the same thing an they told me it would be ok to take these medications while breastfeeding as long as u keep them posted with all the medications u are taking and if the one u are taking isnt safe they can give u a pregnancy safe medicine
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• They usually give you zoloft which I'm taking and its fine.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm seriously not trying to be mean. But if it comes down to it, you have to decide which is more important...a healthy and happy mommy or breastfeeding and hoping your NEEDED medications aren't hurting the baby in any way.
    Anonymous

• There are anti-depressants that are safe while nursing. Prozac is one, and I'm sure there are others, but I don't know what you're on, so you need to ask your doctor.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My doctor said Prozac was NOT okay for BF. It says so right on the label. It was okay for pregnancy but not BF.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If most anti-depressants cause severe problems in children, why would any doctor tell you it's ok to give your baby trace amounts of it? I would never breastfeed if I was on an anti-depressant.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Go to Kellymom.com they have a huge list of medications that are acceptable to take while breastfeeding. I know there are quite a few anti-depressants that are ok, I just don't remember which.

You can do both!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There are many that are safe to take. If you'd like to give me a specific drug name, I can look it up in Dr Hale's book, Medications and Mothers Milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes! I've been on Lexapro 20mg and Xanax .25-.5mg since before I was pregnant, through pregnancy, and while breastfeeding. I've had no problems.. Talk to your doctor.. they won't let you take anything that could harm your little one..

Also, make a list of over the counter medications in your house that you'd normally take (advil, tylenol, excedrin, etc) and have the doctor check which ones are safe and which ones can be harmful.. This helped me a lot because before I was calling everytime I came down with a little cold :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes, I'm on Zoloft, which my doc prescribed my specifically because I was breastfeeding. Not sure which others are safe, but zoloft definitely is.
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 1:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2009