Is it safe to be on birth control and breastfeed at the same time?

I decided to stop bf due to taking birth control. My daughter is 8 weeks old and I bf up to about 5 weeks. Is there any way for me to continue bf her while i'm taking the pill? Is it safe? Since its been 3 weeks is there any hope in getting my milk back?

oldpoohbear

Asked by oldpoohbear at 6:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it's safe. And you would want something like the mini pill not regular birth control.
    You can get your supply back with frequent breastfeeding, pumping afterwards... you could try supplements like More Milk Plus
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Only if you are on the kind that you can breast feed on. Ask your doctor for the prescription. God bless.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• yeah the progesterone only pill
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yep, they give you the mini pill till you stop, or 6 months post partum.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I took the Pill both times when I was nursing, and it was fine. Just as your doctor to give you one that's safe while nursing. I was on the mini pill with my second one and I forget which one I was on with my first.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• there is a special pill BUT I choose not to take the pill b/c I did not trust it while I was nursing.

I cant believe you chose the pill over nursing your baby! Geez people, where are your priorities????
    Anonymous

• the dr prescribes a mini- pill.. good luck
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 7:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thank you everyone. As for you anonymous, I was just asking a question. Until you know the whole story or even bother to try and find out any other information, I don't think you have the right to criticize. but thank you for your opinion.
    oldpoohbear

Answer by oldpoohbear at 8:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You have 2 options: depo or a bc pill. i forgot then name of the pill. very important detail-IF you choose the pill it has to be taken at EXACTLY the same time everyday. if not you have to use backup for 3 days. i had been on the pill 16yrs, but i could not get a consistent schedule. i never got up at the same time,went to lunch, got off work, or went to bed at the same time.

i hate shots, but i went w/that b/c at least it was only once every 3 mos. i didn't know i'd still be bf at almost 3 yrs. i kept thinking this is the last shot. finally i stopped taking it & we just use condoms.

hell for the amount of sex we have, it works.
    star33

Answer by star33 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2009