i babysit a 20 month old...............

I babysit a little boy who is 20 months old he says simple words like dada and mama that about it but he don't connect his dad with dada or anything if you tell him to go get a toy he follows simple directions His mom says he is just lazy and don't want to talk I told her yesterday that he runs into stuff alot and just falls all the time all she said is yeah i know he does......when she takes him to the doc she tells the doc he is sooo smart and does alot (he goes to the same doc as I take my child) I don't know if I should say something to her or not (like a months ago I asked her if he feeds himself with spoon at home and she said I have never tried that) I don't know if he just can't talk or do much b/c he has disability or the parents are not trying.....so should i say something about he is still not feeding himself good or showing signs of improved talking

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Say something to whom? To the mother? Sounds like it's going to fall on deaf ears, but it's worth a shot.

To the doctor? No, not your place at all.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He's 20 months. If this is a real question, then the doctor would notice if there was something wrong (not just go on what mom says). I say mind your own business, and if you're judging your friend and her son then maybe you shouldn't be watching him.
    Anonymous

• All children are different and develop at there own rate, if the mother admits to not even trying then i could understand why the child can't do it. Children need to be taught...you seem to be concerned, and you do watch him...you teach him and the more you do the more he'll learn then when momma see's it she can really brag on how smart he was that he's able to do things she didn't bother to teach him.
    meli14k

Answer by meli14k at 7:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• She's not really judging them anon! Geez. She's asking for advice because she is obviously concerned. In my opinion it can't hurt talking to the mom. Or at least trying to. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• OP-----I have been working with him i have tried teaching him sign language since he will not talk but all he will do is the more sign (he does it for everything if he wants drink he does it like asking for something) i have tried working with him just yes and no he will not shake his head yes or no he will just sit with you or on the floor for a long time....you have to keep playing with him he doesn't show signs of being happy or sad he just sits????
    Anonymous

• Not your place to talk to the dr. try to do what you can for him and try to work the parents
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 7:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i would keep doing what you are doing with him. and then tell mom what you have been doing, maybe she just doesn't know any better?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well if she is lying to the doctor then shes just screwing her son out of getting the help he needs so that hes not going into preschool or kindergarden not know anything. It kind of sounds like to me that she babys him alot and maybe thats why hes not eating on his own, she probably still spoon feeds him and as for the talking, my son is 28 months old and only says juice, mama, dada, shoes, ball, truck just small words like that. He doesn put two words togeather but hes also in speech tharapy. Do I honetly think he needs it, NO because everything he has learned is because of him not someone coming out to see him twice a month every child develops at there own pace. I work with him daily, teaching him new things and if you asked him to point things out in a book he can do it plus imatate the words. Hes learning but slower then some. I would just keep working with him while hes with you and let the parent do there own thing.
    Anonymous

• Oh and one more thing, you said that hes running into things.... Has his eye sight been checked? If thats not it then he might just be clumsy, babys/toddlers are like that. They dont pay attention too things as good as we do yet. I wouldnt worry about any of it, he will learn eventually.
    Anonymous

• He could have autism but the parents would have to ask the doctor about that and I would tell the mother that either cause it will hurt her feeling and maybe make her angry. If you feel like hes dificult to babysit then dont.
    Anonymous