Would you take advice from another mom who was a bad parent?

How do you deal with other moms who insist on giving you advice when they so clearly don't have good parenting skills? Do you pretend to listen and then do things your own way? What if the bad parent is your mom or grandmother and you don't agree with her parenting style? How would you tactfully handle the situation?

Beautyandbrains

Asked by Beautyandbrains at 7:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i pretend to listen, and that goes for anyone who gives me advice
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Smile and nod.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Smile, nod and thank them for their suggestions.

I feel like a pro at it sometimes!

Ooooohhhh...listen to what they have to say and then do THE OPPOSITE!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• let it all go in one ear and out the other, and who says that just because they gave you advice taht you have to listen?
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't take or listen to advice from a parent who lacks good parenting skills.
    Anonymous

• Smile and nod :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• nod and smile..I have someone like that right now and it is funny because I'm thinking your kids a "monsters" (10-9) they can not even use fork and knife.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• well, i would not do things the way they did but if the advice is on the mistake they made and now they understand where they went wrong...then yeah I would listen and see if it something i too am doing that needs to be changed....but if she said i did xyz and you need to do xyz also, then just listen, smile and do things the way you see fit...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I pretend to listen and then do things my own way
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There's an old saying...
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Even a bad parent can have good advice. And many times, I've found "bad parents" are actually just doing things in a different way... not my way but not bad.

What to do? Listen. Then say something like "I hadn't thought of that! Thanks." (Especially handy if the suggestion is really out there or awful since it's probably true... the awful idea hadn't even crossed your mind!) For pushy grandparents, try "My doctor actually told me that older moms might suggest that. He told me not to do it since it has been proven to be harmful." or "We tried that already. It didn't work for us/ made things worse."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009