He stops breathing!!! Help!

My son is 12 weeks old and for a while now he stops breathing for a couple of seconds (not because he's mad) and it scares him. He screams after he catches his breath. What is causing this? What I do to help him? He does it alot... Plz help!!

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 7:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son does this when he's first about to start crying and it's almost like he's stuck. The doctor said to blow an abrupt puff of air right into his face to startle him into breathing again. It works for my son. I'm not sure what causes it but it is a common problem with babies.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• take him to the emergancy room, this is not normal, my baby at 10days old had rsv and did this and they said if i wouldn't have took her to the hospital that she could have stoped breathing in her sleep, don't hesitate toake him, avoid a crib death. keep us posted
    Anonymous

• Please contact your doctor if you haven't already. This is not something to just let go on without him being evaluated! I hope you can find something out.
    Anonymous

• He doesnt do it when he's mad or going to cry...
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Talk to your doc it could just be him starting crying I've heard of that. However it could be something much worse you should make sure. For his sake and your good nights rest. Good luck I hope it's nothing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i would talk to your doctor. my daughter had apnea and no one believed me til she was 2 years old and they finally did a sleep study and i was told they were shocked she hadn't stopped breathing in the middle of the night alltogether. so go see your doc.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You need to call the doctor NOW, babies do usually have an irregular breathing pattern but this sounds like its probably more serious than just that
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• stops breathing for a couple of seconds (not because he's mad)
    He doesnt do it when he's mad or going to cry...

HE IS MAD WHEN HE DOES IT and NOT STARTING TO CRY!

So..not mad, doesn't do it when mad, and then he is mad?

If he's doing it when he's mad about something he's just getting worked up.

Now...if he's doing it when he's NOT mad, nor is he crying...he is calm/sleeping, then suddenly starts the screaming...that's something totally different.

Babies stop breathing. When they stop, it's usually for a few seconds at a time, then they breathe rapidly to kind of "catch up". If they have an apnea spell (stop breathing longer than 20 seconds) that is something that needs to be monitored...closely.

He stops for a "couple of seconds" and it scares him. Okay...what's the reaction? You say he starts screaming after he's caught his breath? IT could be part of him catching his breath.

Anonymous

• ....you're obviously concerned, so call the pediatrician and tell the one with the medical degree what's going on. That's what they are there for.
    Anonymous