daycare boogers

ok i have a daycare at my highschool and my son gets sick a lot and cant come back until his green boogers are gone i follow all the rules at the daycare but every time i go in there one of the kids has green boogers i told one the care takers and she laughed so i went to the principal and he said if he seen it he would send them home but he never did so i went in there today and said if you dont send them home then im taking my son home because i dont want him sick he said i was overreacting then i left what should i do

morganmommie

Asked by morganmommie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Health

• They are reacting over boogers? seriously? They know boogers are dried dirt and snot right? Does your kid have a fever or the diarrhea...that is grounds to be sent home, not boogies. Crazy
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i've never heard of a child having to go home b/c they have green boogers. every daycare or that type of enviornment that my child has been in the rules were: if they had a fever in the last 24hrs, vomiting in the last 24 hours, severe cough/or runny nose, and diarehea in the last 24 hours. they ask that you not bring them in and they will be sent home if those symptoms appear while at the center/activity if its a sport type thing
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thats silly that they are basing his health off of the color of his snot - green means a presence of bacteria, but not necessarily an infection.
    Which means its also silly on your part to not take him to daycare because someone else has green snot.

My daughter gets a steady stream of green snot for about a week prior to each tooth she cuts, but she is not sick when this happens. There would be no reason for me to keep her out of daycare...see what I mean?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• yeah but i dont get why they send my son home and not the other booger babys
    morganmommie

Answer by morganmommie at 7:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• either way its dumb to send any of them home for it. i would bring something from your doctor explaining exactly what green boogers mean that way they can see that its not something to be sent home over
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Send them a snot rocket! lmao
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• is it written in the parent booklet anywhere if not they cant send him home
    if it is bring it to the attention of the person in charge that they have to do for all
    if its not, make it known that its not written in the rules, they cant send him home
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• MrsHeidi: As a daycare provider, the center is well within it's rights and state law to send kids home when they have green boogers. They child could have an infection and be contagious therefore infecting all the other kids.

mommymeq03: a daycare can send a child home for ANY reason, they have the right to do so, even if it is NOT in the parent policy booklet.

To OP: you did NOT overreact, you did the right thing to keep your baby safe and healthy. I am proud of you. Stand up for your baby and don't back down. Tell the person in charge that if they don't start following their own policies and state policies, you will report them to the state licensing board. If you can, find a different center.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009