Is it any wonder why I don't get along with my mother?

I am staying at my mother's tonight so I can go to an event close to her rather than drive from my home in another state tomorrow morning. I am one of those people who turns into a pumpkin after 9pm and she know it. She happens to be having a friend whom I never met staying over too. She wants me to stay up to meet her when they come home from a meeting that starts at 8:30! I have been planning this with a friend for months. Why doesn't she ask her friend to get up at six a.m. to meet me? I wouldnt' expect it. I understand why she wants us to meet but my day tomorrow could be awful without the sleep I need?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• Well, I would just tell your mom, I'd love to meet so and so, but I'm afraid I need to go bed at 9pm. If you're friend would like to meet me, perhaps we can set something else up or she can come early. If not, then we'll have to wait until next time. Be firm. Hope it helps!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Oh, my! Plans change! You had a change of plans and you won't be staying over after all!

Now, find $50, get yourself a cheap hotel room and get some sleep.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 6:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My Mom drives me crazy too! I am finally learning that I need to set boundaries with her or she would deprive me of sleep as well!
    ski2dawn

Answer by ski2dawn at 7:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• yeah I was going to say .. lovingly tell her that won't work for you because you need to sleep for your event the next day, work something else out with her so you can meet her friends some other time...
    BreakingFree

Answer by BreakingFree at 8:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008