has any1 on here ever had an abnormal pap test?

Well the reason I am asking is because when I was 15 I had a pap smear done and it said that I has abnormal cells. I went back to the doctor and she said that I had HPV. And not to worry come back in a year. Well for the past 4 years I have been taking pap smears and the doctors have not been saying anything about my pap tests. They just say everything seems normal and send me home.I am concerned because I am 39weeks pregnant and I don't want to pass her anything while indelievery. And + I dont want to give my SO anything. I just don't understand this why are my pap's coming back normal? Will i pass someting to my baby or SO? some1 plz help!!!!!!!!!!!

jacudra

Asked by jacudra at 7:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if you have HPV you should be having abnormal paps. and i'm assuming it was 4 yrs ago that this happened, normally they would do further tests to determine for sure that it is HPV and if surgery is necessary. are you still seeing the same doc? maybe the one a few years ago was just a fluke, i'm assuming you had a pap at the begining of your pregnancy and your doc said everything was ok, therefore nothing should pass. but you should tell your doc you were told you had HPV a few years ago so you can be tested again, as for your SO they do not have signs of the disease unless they get it in their mouths...
    Anonymous

• i had a similar problem. about 4 or 5 years ago, my doc said i had hpv. soon after, i ended up moving around the country for a while. i wasnt able to get a new doc for a long time. no insurance, moving around a lot, etc... the next pap i had, years later, was normal. and when i settled down and got pregnant and THAT pap was normal, too. mentioned hpv to my doctor. she said, "no way".
    i wasted a lot of stress on what that doctor said, years ago. it still frustrates me, to this day! maybe its one of those things that can be easily misdiagnosed.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• my sil had one come back abnormal. they had her retest later and it was normal. i guess you can get false readings. thats what she told me. i dont know.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• ok this just pisses me off that this happened to you. The same thing happened to me. My son turned 4 April 8. While pregnant with him i had an abnormal pap. The stupid dr was like you have hpv. well me and my b/f at the time got into a huge argument about the STD! well come to find out after going to a diffrent dr i did not have HPV. I had something that was genetic and shows as abnormal cells on my cervics. They cant just do a pap and say you have HPV. they have to do more test. and my ob explained to me that sometimes you get an abnoral pap for no reason. they have to do a biopsy to determine what it is.
    Anonymous

• http://www.hpv.com/index.html?WT.mc_id=GR06K go here and look at fact # 6
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 8:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• HPV is a virus, like all viruses it can clear up on its own. So just because you had it then doesnt mean you will have it forever. If you arent having abnormal paps i wouldnt worry. i have HPV, have for a few years. I had it when I had my son and he is fine.
    Anonymous

• I never used to have abnormal paps until i became pregnant mine come back with HPV and i have had the shots, my GYN said the pregnancy could have caused the flare up. and as the person above states its a virus and can clear up on its own in a year. if they havent said anything then you have nothing to worry about.
    kduffy

Answer by kduffy at 10:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• and yes they have to do a colposcopy before they can determine any real problems. which tends to hurt a little.
    kduffy

Answer by kduffy at 10:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2009