How long can early labor last?

was wondering how long the early phase of labor can last. I ended up in the hospital last night with bloody show and contractions that were about 10 minutes apart for around 2 hours. My cervix didnt change so they ended up sending me home with an ambien(sleeping pill) to sleep through the contractions. They told me that I was more than likely in the early stage of labor and to come back when the contractions were 5 minutes apart. They have slowed down today but are still definately strong and still definately there but not quite as close together.
Anyway, I was wondering...if I am ACTUALLY in early labor how long can this last before the really intense stuff happens? I am trying to keep this baby in till I am at least 36 weeks (1 1/2 weeks from now) but the docs wont stop it because I have had 2 rounds of steroid shots. Anyway...any advice, personal stories?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I went in on a tuesday with ealry labor like you and they sent me home, back in wen. and had him late that nite, ealy thurs. morning!!! You never know really! They told me not to expect him for about a week longer!!! They were wronge! Good luck!! May you have a happy healthy little baby!!! Stay healthy too Mommy!!!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you want to stop your labor drink a beer and go to bed. Alcohol relaxes your muscles and one beer won't harm your baby. Getting off your feet will help keep the baby's head from pressing on your cervix and making it dilate. Drink up to one beer a day for 3 days, and if it doesn't help, discontinue. If it helps but the labor comes back, you might just have to let it go, because you definately don't want to keep drinking every day.

Prodromal labor, the stuff you're describing, can last a really long time in rare cases... up to 2 weeks. Usually, though, it lasts a few hours, up to 24.

You should still try to stop your labor. Even though you'vehad the steroids that doesn't mean your baby is ready to come. I'd get a second opinion on that one.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Ya I am DEFINATELY trying to stop it still. I have been off of my feet all day and have been really really hydrated hoping that maybe part of the labor is dehydration. They said that they think I can go another couple of weeks but I am already dilated to 3 and baby is at a +3 station. I am SCARED TO DEATH that my baby wont be ready for his big day.
    Anonymous

• +3?! That's a centimeter away from crowning. I think you mean -3.

At any rate, good luck, mamma! Hope the beer helps.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 25, 2009