Anyone else have car anxiety? How did you overcome it?

My husband wants me to try to get my license again this summer. I tried last summer and failed the parking before I even made it out of the drive way.

I do -know- how to drive, but every time I even think about getting behind the wheel I imagine some horrendous accident occurring. I have no problem taking the bus, but he wants me to be more "independent". ( I think he's tired of driving me everywhere). I think I've run out of excuses, my last one was. "If I got my license I'd spend more money because I'd be driving to all the stores." It did sound like a good excuse, but I don't think he bought it. UGH!

lizzeh

Asked by lizzeh at 8:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have terrible anxiety about being in cars, not about driving in particular except that I am terrified to merge. and to drive on major highways. and on narrow country roads. and on icy roads. If I absolutely have no choice I do it, but I shake. I am also afraid to ride in a car. I was in two accidents a couple years ago, neither being my fault- one a lady hit my car being careless, the other I was a passenger and our car got struck on my side by a car running a red light. Since then I've been even more afraid. The way I handle it is to not think of the car trip, to think of the destination only. When I am getting ready to leave the house, I don't even think about being in the car, only about arriving. This makes me get in the car and get with it. I fool myself into forgetting about the car.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have the same problem, I am scared to drive but I want to.. I have been behind the wheel of a car and drove before.. I think its because I dont trust anyone else on the road ecspecially if i have my daughter in the car with me.. I am going to drive and I just need to get over my fear but that might take some time.. lol
    DSlay

Answer by DSlay at 9:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Hey Liz, suck it up. :D
    Seriously, though, my grandmother never drove/drives. She just could nto get over it. The only way to do it is to do it.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 10:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't know why I bother paying a car payment and insurance every month bc I never drive unless I absolutely have to. My mom takes me on errands bc she likes to spend the afternoon time with us and I use it as an excuse to not drive! My husbands a police officer and every day he tells me about how someone died or a child he saw dead or whatever and its absolutely terrified me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You need more practice behind the wheel on quiet roads before you take the driving test for your license. Only when you begin to feel more comfortable will you be able to feel confident enough to pass the test. If your husband is stressing you out during your driving practice times, then find a friend who will come along instead. Don't bring any children if you don't have to. One hour a day is plenty enough and you can just practice all the things you are unsure of (parking, k-turns, etc).
    I wish you well!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:37 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I used to be scared to death to take the city circle in our town. There are 3 lanes that go in a complete cirle around a park , there are 4 spots around the circle where people are merging in or out of the circle. If you get stuck in the inside lane it is hard to get out. Anyway one day we had to take the circle and I started freaking out. My husband calmly guided me in and out of lanes for a period of time. I finally realized that he was taking me around the circle about 4 times. He tricked me into going around a few times and I am no longer scared of the circle. My best advice is to face your fears. You can do it!!!!! You will love the freedom that comes with driving. Honestly though I am still afraid of highways.
    April0040

Answer by April0040 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• hi..ive been a driver for 27yrs. i love the road..learned when i was 17 in a station wagon and most of my adult driving was in new york..brooklyn..if i had to do the city..i took the train!! now im in florida 9 1/2 yrs. where you NEED to drive and i would rather not even leave my safe haven..my home. the accidents here are just too much..people are crazy..there are crosses and flowers by the side of the road with a gap of only 1/2 mi. before you see more..i spend more time doing the sign of the cross every time i see these than anything else. i see myself getting in the most tragic accident for some stupid sh!t..i always tell my daughter that if anything ever happened & i was ok..i would get out the car & whoop the idiots a$$!!! needless to say..i dont go out..if i must i walk..and if i go in the car..im just freakin' the whole time!!! thanks for ques. & for reading!!
    ta2craze

Answer by ta2craze at 11:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• LMAO as if I didn't think we had enough in common .... I scared and yes for the very same reason... I think I'm gonna get pinned in my car car of a 18 wheeler!!! Then few times I did drive to my doc. appt. (when I just couldn't get a ride!!!) I would see one come on the hwy and I'd exit off!!!

LMAO I'm 23 now and still haven't had one... I totally keep putting it off and yeah still no license... LOL I remember when I was 20 I was like I'll just wait a lil longer and my license will fact the right way LOL

So yeah I need some tips too : )
    YB5505

Answer by YB5505 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 27, 2009