How would you potty train a teacup yorkie???

We have a teacup yorkie and we love her to pieces. Her habbit , my problem she is supposed to go potty in her crate on her potty pad and does "most" of the time.....However she is like all that I've read about very stuborn and wants it her way when she can, she will releive herself on any throw rug that is around so I have lifted all the throw rugs in her space and today she did it on the wood where the thrw rug used to be.......Like I said we love her that is "chelsea" but we are very frustrated as to what to do with her....No we already thought about giving her to a new home and we can't do that yorkies are really one family dogs...and we just need some advice...By the way we have four other dogs, A toy poodle, mini schnauzer, yorkie-poo, maltesse, and our baby Chelsea and they were all crate trained and no problems they all go out to make in our fenced in yard. By the way she is "3" years old and we have head her since she was 10 weeks old. Please HELP!

BETTEBOOP

Asked by BETTEBOOP at 7:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2008 in Pets

• Well do you guys walk her, I would take her out more often...
    usmcvalle

Answer by usmcvalle at 7:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2008

• No we don't walk her she is 3 lbs. 9 ozs. and has had only her crate and potty pad and most of the time she goes on it...but sometimes if she is busy playing with the others she forgets and goes where she is..
    BETTEBOOP

Answer by BETTEBOOP at 8:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2008

• Her size doesnt mean you shouldnt walk her. Yorkies are VERY VERY difficult to potty train. Of all the dogs we have owned our yorkies have been the MOST difficult to potty train. Sounds to me like you guys are doing everything recommended thus far. Just try more walking and a few more trips out in the yard...GOOD LUCK they are a great dog and family clowns.

FYI there is no such thing as a tea cup...that's a misconception.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2008

• I know that the word "TEACUP" for a yorkie is tabu and thats fine.....what would you call something small enough to fit into your teacup? She is so small and cute and the word teacup was used to give the reader an idea of just how small she is........You are right most people don't use the word teacup, I guess you could call her a mini yorkie......And yes she is our family clown. Thanks for the answer and the help.
    BETTEBOOP

Answer by BETTEBOOP at 8:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2008

• Try putting the train wee pads where she goes. Still use the outdoors when available. Make sure she doesn't have a uninary infection or is drinking a lot of water. Yes they are very hard to house break and most peeps use the pads around the house. Good luck to you.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 6:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2008

• Most doggies don't like to potty in their crate - that's their bed, and they want to keep it clean. Trying to teach her to go IN the crate runs contrary to her natural instinct. Put her on the pee pads in the place OUTSIDE her crate where you would like her to go the moment you take her out of her crate, and about 10 minutes after you feed her.

lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2008

• I would stop stressing both you and the dog by putting bitch britches on her. It will save your floor , rugs and your sanity.
    DivaRuth

Answer by DivaRuth at 11:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2008

• I have a 12 yr. old yorkie. She is still not fully house broken. When we visit friends I use "panties" so she won't pee on their floors. Here in the house I use "pee pads" where she likes to go.She does let me know when she wants to go out and "POO" She won't do that in the house. Sometimes I think she is just MARKING, and since you have other dogs that might be the case
    dfarley

Answer by dfarley at 1:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2008

• 10 years old yorkie pup? Well try taking her on a short leash without the other pups cause she may be different. She is feeling jealous and that because of all the other pups in the home. Take her by herself on a short walk around the block and on occasion take her to the park.. You can break her habit if you spend a little time and consistancy with your yorkie.. If your other dogs were crate trained why not try a litterbox with litter in her own little crate. Maybe you could use puppy pads to entice her by the front door after establishing her going out on a leash with you by herself on a short walk to sniff.
    lady_bug1975

Answer by lady_bug1975 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2008