Did you have trouble breastfeeding?

I am BFing my dd, and everything has, thankfully gone smoothly right from the start but I have heard that alot of women and newborns have trouble with it. So I was just curious what troubles did you have if any? Was bfing a good experience for you?

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I didn't really have any trouble. I did go into a bit of a panic when my milk first came in though. It came in after a few days and I thought I was already sailing along BFing but then suddenly my breasts were soooo swollen and full and I couldn't get anything out! I took a hot shower and nursed my son and it cleared up. No one in my family had BFed so I didn't have anyone to ask about what was going on. I guess it was all just normal though.

I also had a lot of sensitivity in the first few weeks. Now I am on my 8th month and it's no big deal. It hurt a lot at first though. I didn't think I'd be able to keep it up for 6 months, and now I am going planning on going until 12!

To anyone who has trouble, don't let it get you down. Persevere as much as you can, just hang in there. If in the end it doesn't work then don't sweat it, that's what formula is for! Never let anyone make you feel bad about how you feed ur baby!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• with my first child i developed mastasis (however you spell it) and i was horribly sick. but other than being sick i was still able to breast feed her I just had to wear a surgical mask and than BFing I was to have no contact with her because i caught some other virus too and was contagious. I ended up trying to pump so much so she wouldn't catch anything from being near me and that caused me to dry up and I was only able to BF her for the first 5 1/2 weeks of her life :(

with my second it will be 8 months in 4 days that I have been bfing and it's going good. I had a few issues when I first brought her home, but it was just that she was on a nursing strike. she got over that and has been a bf expert since :)
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 9:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Oh yeah. We had bad nipple confusion, thanks to bad advice. We got over it, and she bf for 14 months. I had no problems with my second, probably because I ignored all the "is she getting enough, boy she looks hungry, why don't you do this" advice. I learned not to take breastfeeding advice from people who didn't breastfeed for a year.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Why do breast feeding women always blame their problems on someone else? If the child didn't latch on correctly, then it's the nurse's fault because she gave the baby a paci, or it's so and so's fault because they gave bad advice. If they couldn't continue with breast feeding, it's because the baby was given a bottle in the hospital, yada yada yada. Whatever happened to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?
    Anonymous

• Anon: Why do some women have enough time in their day to form such a passionate opinion as to what another woman does or does not do with her own body?

To answer the question: I was lucky. It came easy, no mastitis, baby took right to it. I also chose to continue in my career and I pumped often (in my office with the door closed) and no one raised an eyebrow. I also had a lot of support, and an outstanding lactation consultant.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had a lot of breastfeeding problems in the begining, by the time I left the hospital I was cracked and bleeding and everything was really painful. The lactation consultant basically said good luck and sent me home. It has been 4 months and nursing is fine now, although I have to use a nipple shield about 75% of the time. So, yes, I am one of those moms that had a really hard time of things, but once I stopped listening to all the "experts" and just listened to my baby and my body we started doing much better.
    CLRief

Answer by CLRief at 9:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes. I had a cracked nipple and didn't know it. My week old daughter coughed up blood and I FREAKED out something fierce. The Hubs called the Dr and that's when we figured out it was MY blood. I had to pump from that side for a little over a week while it healed so that she'd get milk and not just blood and because it hurt like a mofo to nurse from that side. After I healed everything was smooth sailing, though there was still pain for a few weeks.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 9:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had low supply issues. My youngest wasn't gaining weight, after regaining her birth weight she dropped to 5lbs 14oz at 2 weeks of age, she was 6lbs 9oz at birth and dropped to 6lbs 2oz at 12 hours old, I know most babies lose weight those first couple of days.
    I had trouble getting her to latch, she had such a tiny mouth. My boobs hurt so bad those first few weeks. When my daughter was 2 weeks old, I started running a fever, my breasts were sore and hot and I had chills. I had an infection. www.llli.org really helped me through the hard times, the ladies are amazing! My daughter self weaned at 14 months! Good luck and congratulations! all the issues was worth it!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 9:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had a horrible experience. It hurt soo bad, I was bleeding and cracked. Baby wasn't gaining weight. I was afraid to hold dd b/c my chest hurt sooooooo bad. I actually sat crying one night with her crandled in one hand and my breast cradled in the other just staring at her but unwilling to let her latch because I knew just how much pain would come. I felt like the worse mom in the world because it hurt so much just to feed her that I was actually terified of my child! I supplimented at 2 weeks to help with the weight gain issues, then started weaning at 4 weeks and was done by 6. Since breastfeeding hurt so bad, I was unwilling to invest in an expensive pump. I had a hand pump, but it still hurt. one side hurt much worse, and I think if I had just feed off one side, i might have made it longer.

After all the pain, I plan on trying again if/when I have my next child.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I had a hard time with both of my kids. DD was first, we had trouble latching, and I wasn't so determined to breastfeed. I could have went either way. She came home on formula when she was two days old, and by day 5, was so colicky and cranky that when I didn't know what to do, DH suggested that I just give it one more try (hadn't attempted nursing in 3 days) and she latched on like a pro. Nursed, you could hear the swallowing, and burped when she was done. She weaned at 13 mos due to my pregnancy. Also had a hard time with initial latch with DS, but was more passionate and determined to breastfeed, it's all I know. We had nursing down pat within the first 24 hrs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2009