I am having trouble running...

I am 3 months pregnant and I have been running for twelve years. I have run two full marathons, several half-marathons, and countless other races. During the winter I typically run 3-4 days a week and in the summer I do 5-6. I run anywhere from 2-7 miles when I am not training for a race. Since being pregnant, I am finding it difficult to get out even once a week. At first I thought I was just overworked and tired, but now I think it might be related to the pregnancy. I read about a woman who ran Boston at 25 weeks and I can't even do 3 miles anymore. Does anyone have any advice about running, will it get better in the second trimester?

Lisha54

Asked by Lisha54 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Join the running moms group here on CM. You'll love the group and they'll give you tons of advice. A lot of the moms are pregnant now and still running.
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/247
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Joining the PP's group suggestion above is a good start. I felt terrible for the first 3 months of my pregnancy, felt better months 4-7, then lousy again during months 8 and 9. Every woman is individual, and while I hope your ability to run comes back, if it doesn't perhaps you can check out some fitness alternatives. There are many wonderful workout DVD's made specifically for pregnancy, everything from light aerobics to yoga and pilates to help keep you in shape. I'd consider getting a couple of those, and mixing your routine up with walking/jogging a couple of days a week, and the in-home workouts on other days. Whatever physical activity you can get motivated to do would obviously be beneficial to you and baby. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2009