WORRIED! first Ultra sound tomorrow

I have my first ultra sound tomorrow and I am so worried that nothing is going to show up! My first visit I was told I was about 8- 10 weeks but we couldn't hear a heartbeat. I also feel because me and my husband are younger (22- and 23) we get treated differently. Anyone else?

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 9:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My daughter is at the same stage as you and they didn't hear a heartbeat. It is too early.
    You shouldn't be treated differently because of your age. If you think you're not being treated well, find a different doctor. If that isn't an option, ask them why they aren't treating you well. If you're misunderstanding then they'll explain themselves. If they are mistreating you, they'll stop.

Try not to worry.
    Anonymous

• My husband and I are 22 and 26 and I think the people at my doctors office treat us like children. Just stand up for yourself. They are working for YOU so you make sure you get what you want/need.

How many weeks are you now? Are they doing vaginal ultra sound?
    Michele_Lynn

Answer by Michele_Lynn at 9:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When I went in for my first appointment the midwife estimated that I was 10 weeks along and she couldn't find a heartbeat, but said that was normal at that point. My ultrasound was a week and a half later and the technician had to do the vaginal ultrasound and it turned out I was 8 weeks along. I did hear the heartbeat and see the baby during the ultrasound. At the 12 week appointment the midwife could hear the heartbeat, but I had a hard time discerning it from my heartbeat, which seemed really loud to me. I definitely heard the baby's heartbeat at the 16 week appointment and ever since. So try not to worry and good luck!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I am not certain its just your age. It could also be that your doctor is just incredibly bored. It might be your first baby and pregnancy but its probably like his or her 2500th. They get arrogant and rude about questions sometimes. Luckily for me I switched to a nurse midwife who was amazing, she always had time for every stupid question I had.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I went in at 10 weeks...and we couldnt hear the heartbeat. I did however get the first ultrasound when i was like 6wks and 1 day...so i knew there wwas a baby in there, but i got SOOO freaked out when she said we couldnt find the heartbeat with the doppler (but she did mention that 10 weeks was the earliest that you can detect the heartbeat on the dopplers) so i ended up having to get another ultrasound...
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 10:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't think you are all that young. There are teens shooting out kids like pez dispensers. Stick up for yourself. Just because you are younger does not mean they can treat you like an idiot. Don't act like one. Be mature and demand respect. As for your scan, don't worry, all will be fine. You will hear the heart and see a little shape...it is a miracle.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009