What is wrong with our justice system???

My 15 year old cousin ran away from her home. Her mom is stupid and does drugs and her step-dad is very abusive and is an alcoholic. She has never said her step dad is sexually abusive, but our extended family all believes that he is by the ways he treats her and his prior sex abuse charges.
She ran away about a month ago. She was picked up by the cops at a homeless shelter in a nearby town. Today she was sentenced to a YEAR in a juvenille detention center!! She is better off there than at home with her horrible parents, but she is being treated like a criminal for escaping a horrible home. My grandparents, mom, and other aunts and uncles were all there today and told the judge they want custody of her and all testified to how bad off her home life is. He still sentenced her to jail time for running away! We have been trying for years to get her out of that home and into family custody with no luck. CPS hasn't even helped out

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This really sucks. Can you appeal?
    Anonymous

• OP
    Yes her lawyer is already working on an appeal. Her closest relatives live about 8 hours away and we believe that is where she was trying to go. We wish she would have given one of us a call and someone could have gone down and picked her up. But she is young and scared. She didn't know what to do or who to call. She thought that we would take her back to her parents.
    Anonymous

• That enrages me! That is just the most f'ed up thing I have ever heard! I believe kids run away for a reason, and that is a cry for help when they do not know what else to do. The courts should be listening to this girl, not taking the chance of doing some or even more mental\emotional damage to her! She does not deserve to be in there for trying to escape a bad situation in the only way she may have known how. I have absolutely NO faith in the justice system when it comes to situations like this. I have known parents to be rotten to their kids and have their kids get punished for it and I have also known good parents who have lost their children over untrue statements made by others and it is wrong! Make sure she knows that she did nothing wrong and encourage her to speak the truth and make people listen to what was happening. She should not have to live in fear or misery! Ask the courts to listen to her side if you can
    Anonymous

• That is horrible. I don't understand thing like this at all. A child gets a year in juvy for running away from her abusive family but men that molest little children get 6 months probation. It makes no sense. What does that tell other children who might be in the same situation? That running away is just going to get them in more trouble so they are better off staying where they are? That is not right.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I am so sorry for your cousin, this is so unfair to her. I do hope she will not put in further jeopardy wherever the judge places her, it's just a shame that she can't be with your family.

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I feel for your cousin but where was family before now? You all knew how bad it was and did nothing. The courts did what they could and she is away from her home. You all had years to help her and did nothing. I feel for her must be lonely knowing no one really cares.
    Anonymous

• Is there any way she can be emancipated? She is underaged so she needs a place to stay but juvy? That's crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am so sorry! Please let your neice know that you are there for her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Did you ask the judge to appoint a Guardian Ad Litem who looks out only for the interest of the child and no one else? Courts can do that and that person has a lot of pull with the judge as to what happens with the child. Good luck to you
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2009