Christians, what does it actually mean to lust?

I know it means to think about having sex with another woman/man, but what if it's something like "Daaaammmnnnn she's hott." That's not lust, is it? What about the verse that says something about not taking the 2nd look? Or what if my DH said "You don't ever have to worry about me cheating on you, because honestly, that type of girl (referring to a ridiculously beautiful woman) is the only kind I might be in trouble with if she made moves on me." He was basically saying that you never see those types of girls when we seen a picture of a woman modeling lingerie. I'm pretty laid back, don't care if my H sees girls or anything, not really religious, I was just wondering what it meant to lust other than the obvious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think lust is actual sexual desire. Appreciation of beauty can be separate from lust.
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure it means any sexual thought... My husband said once that it says if your eye offends you to poke it out, and that its adultery to even look at another person other than your spouse and "notice" them, if you kwim. But you don't have to believe that if you dont want - I'm just glad that my husband does, lol. *wink*
    I've also heard that you can lust after your husband - that it even refers to wanting your spouse.
    you'll probably get different answers depending on who you ask, but those are a few that I know right off hand.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I do agree it is different to say that someone is beautiful and appreciate their beauty without being sexually attracted to them - I say girls are pretty all the time, lol - lust is the sexual attraction/wanting.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Lust is derived from an Old English word which means "desire." Lust can be used as a noun and as verb. Lust is described as an unrestrained sexual craving. It can be used negatively, as in a lust for power. It can be used positively as in a lust for life! Lust can be applied to an eagerness or an enthusiasm.

When you lust or desire something that does not belong to you as in a person or material possession, then in religion that is a sin. We are not to lust for anyone or anything that is not ours...not even in thought.

When you lust or desire wisdom, knowledge...as you are doing now.... that is good!
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 9:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Wth, I checked like 3 times to see if my question was here, because it said it was deleted.
    Anonymous

• Lust is always seen as "love's evil twin," to explain it as best I can. When you love something/someone, it is a well-rounded emotion of admiration and desire for companionship. When you lust after something, it is more or less for a physical one-sided gain based on appearances or whatever else that would bennefit you. Lust is short-term and the satisfaction is limitted and short-lived.

I honestly take what he said as just kidding lightly with you. If he was honestly checking her out and picturing sleeping with her in his mind, well I might call that "lust."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009