Should I try to wake my newborn up during the day so she could sleep lil better at night?

i have to wake her so she can eat. she wakes up about 3 times a day and stays awake for like 30 minutes.

msangie2003

Asked by msangie2003 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• newborns sleep alot!! so i wouldnt wake her up let her sleep her little body is tired from just breastfeeding
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Newborns don't really have a sense of night and day. It starts to develop around 2 months. Keep waking her for feedings if she won't wake on her own, but don't expect to sleep all night for a while.
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No you shouldn't wake a new born. It's pretty much impossible to get a new born on a schedule anyway. At about 3 - 4 months you can worry about a schedule. For now just let the baby be in charge. This is why we have maternity leave. Just sleep when she does and enjoy the time you have with her!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I used to try and do that. People used to tell me "she has her days and nights mixed up." But they just need lots of sleep. I only woke her up to feed her and she'd go back to sleep. She'll start having more awake time eventually.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• is the baby spending alot of time awake at night? if so, it will help if you try to keep her up a little more during the day. also start moving your bedtime routine back like 15 minutes everyday until she is going to bed at a reasonable hour. my dd wanted to stay up until 12:00 or 1:00 am every night when we first came home. you can try getting her undressed or playing with her feet. talking to her. I got my mom to help me because she is really good at it. she will still sleep alot but most of her awake time should be during the day.
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My second daughter was like this... wanted to sleep all day long. We'd feel good about her getting a few "good half hour" stretches of awake time. I really thought something was wrong because our first would get a few "good half hour" stretches of SLEEP per day as a newborn... but no matter how much we tried to keep our sleepy one awake during the day, it had no effect on her nighttime schedule. The only reason to wake a sleeping baby, newborn especially, is if s/he hasn't eaten in 4-5 hours. Otherwise, let baby sleep when tired. Then, at night, keep the lights off, take care of baby (feed, diaper change, etc), but don't interact more than that. Baby will get the picture quickly.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No. Newborns sleep because they need it. During the times your baby is awake, I would take advantage of it and entertain her to see if you can get her to stay awake for as long as possible but if her body is telling her to sleep, let her. Newborns sleep an average of 16-18 hours a day and need that rest.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No, let her sleep. newborns sleep a lot. She about 2 weeks old isn't she? according to your other post. She is very young and needs to sleep. Breastfeeding also makes them tired, if you are nursing. Breastfeeding takes more effort for them. Congratulations on your baby girl!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• absolutely not...they need A LOT of sleep and if they get their sleep during the day they tend to sleep better at nite.....I have noticed that with my DD and she is 8 months.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i would ride it out mamma they will fall into routine soon.
    nikalotta20

Answer by nikalotta20 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009