Christians, what does it mean to lust?

I know it means to think about having sex with a woman, but what about something like "Daammmnnn she's hott." That's not lust, is it? Also, what does the bible verse mean when it says don't take the 2nd look..? I'm paraphrasing that, but I know I read it. My husband and I were sitting at the computer and seen a picture of a woman modeling lingerie. She was extremely beautiful, and pretty much flawless. He said "You don't ever have to worry about me cheating because it would take a girl like that to get me to." He was saying it meaning that you don't see women like that, and even if you do, what's the odds of one actually wearing next to nothing while trying to seduce you in to sleeping with them? He meant is as it was pretty much not possible. I'm laid back, I don't care if he sees women, I didn't even take offense to that, because who wouldn't have a hard time resisting her? It was hypothetical too. But was that lust?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sounds like lust to me :) But harmless lust. We're human. Just because we're married doesn't mean we're blind. Don't you see men that you think are hot on tv and in magazines?
    Anonymous

• Lust is always seen as "love's evil twin," to explain it as best I can. When you love something/someone, it is a well-rounded emotion of admiration and desire for companionship. When you lust after something, it is more or less for a physical one-sided gain based on appearances or whatever else that would bennefit you. Lust is short-term and the satisfaction is limitted and short-lived.

I honestly take what he said as just kidding lightly with you. If he was honestly checking her out and picturing sleeping with her in his mind, well I might call that "lust."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i had a Christian professor who said lust as most of the Christian faiths think of it is to the extreme. he transcribed off the dead sea scrolls & said the word we know as lust, is basically the Greek word for "to plan". he said that if you look at someone and make out a plan or way that you could get them into your bed, THAT is lust.

IMO you cant help but lust by the average church definition. we are wired to be attracted sexually, & to claim that anytime you think sexually you are sinning is (IMO) completely wrong & stupid. God made us sexual creatures, and yes, we should use that responsibly, but you cant deny that someone is attractive sexually. i believe the severity of lust as a sin was an invention of the church to "keep ppl down" so to speak.

IMO your DH didnt lust. he was just showing you how extreme a circumstance would be for him to cheat. there is nothing wrong w/ anyone finding someone sexually attractive.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• To look at a men and lust after him you are all ready commented adultery in your heart.... TO even think of another man other then your hubby is lust

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well to think that you can look at an image of a hot guy or hot girl and NOT do a double take is almost unrealistic. Its going to catch our attention. That is simply human nature and the way we are wired. Its when you cant keep yourself from looking or it begins to consume your thoughts. Its certainly hard, but thats the reason people look to others for accountability. If it wasnt hard, then we wouldnt need that. Its necessary to understand where the line is because usually once youve crossed the line, you realize that it wasnt where you wanted to end up. Theres a song by Casting Crowns called Slow Fade. He talks about the journey between our mind and our hands is very very short and it goes from your head to your hands in an instant. So if we just steer clear of images, or people who catch our attention then we are protecting ourselves. I actually had this issue in myself not too long ago. I never thought I could struggle.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• lust can seem harmless, but it can always go farther. It is what you do with what you see. Do you act on your lust? It can come on slowly and like you cant really notice at first, but it can lead to much bigger things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2009