do you think it's too early to be potty training??

i tried putting regular underwear on my son for the past couple days and he doesn't seem to get the fact that it's not a diaper, and that he needs to go on the toilet. after every accident i bring him to the toilet and tell him this is wear he needs to go potty. it doesn't seem to work. should i keep trying? or should i wait until he's a little older? (he's almost 2 1/2)

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 9:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all, it's never too early to start LOL. My SIL was trying to convince me to train my 15 month old DD. I might give it a shot. But my son wasnt trained till he was 2 1/2. You just have to wait till the kid is ready and take it from there. Boys are harder to train, from what I hear.
    monseymom

Answer by monseymom at 10:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Not too early. It took my son (not quite 2.5) a little while to get the idea, probably 3 or four days. But then I made it every hour we went to the potty. It took a few weeks before he knew whether or not he needed to before he got there. I did pull ups for 2 weeks to kind of transition, but that was nto overly helpful. He will get the point, it just might be mesy for a few days. Good luck!
    GageWsMom

Answer by GageWsMom at 10:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't think it's too early. Now that he's in underwear I wouldn't go back... it sends a signal that you don't think he can do it. But you need to help him get the association. PUt him in undies and a t-shirt, no pants, keep the potty close by, watch him REALLY closely and as soon as he starts to go in his pants scoop him up and move him to the potty, explaining to him that that's where pee pee goes. Reward him anytime the tiniest amount lands in the potty.Congratulate him from time to time when you see that his pants are dry. He should get it quickly. He's ready.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I started my kids @ 18 months. my grand daughter will be 2 next month and she's peeing in the potty almost every time
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I tried the same thing with my daughter (25 months at the time) and she just wouldn't grasp teh concept until I put 3 days aside just for her and her potty training. No pull-ups, just big girl undies. I would remind her every 15 mintues if she had to go potty to let me know. The first two days were intense! She would cry and scream and hold her potty in but come day number 3 she was going 31 and #2 in her potty with a smile on her face!!! You just have to keep at it and not give up!!! HOPE THIS HELPS!
    sxc_mami1

Answer by sxc_mami1 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2009