Does this ever happen to you?

I lost my job about 2 weeks ago and am home while looking for employment. So I'm home all day with my 2 year old and I have a first grader as well. So I caught up on chores and whatnot and decided to do some cooking. I made game hens in the crockpot with gravy, stuffing, and green beans. My first grader won't taste it. My 2 year old follows whatever his sissy says. So I made this damn dinner that no one wants, well my husband will want it but he's at school right now, and I just really really really want to get back to work where people think I do a good job and aren't so damn stubborn about lame stuff.

Ok, so the real question is have you ever made something for dinner that your kids were being mean about, how did you deal with it? It's not like I made something really really weird, and it's not complete crap LOL!

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 10:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Should I make them sit at the table while I eat?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son is only two but he randomly decides he "doesnt like" completely normal things. For example: this week he doesnt like chicken, last week it was fish, normal things that he has always eaten. My rule is eat what was made or dont eat, and yes he has to sit at the table while I eat it.

Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I put his in the fridge with saran wrap...idk I really don't want the food to go to waste :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would have them sit with you, it is good manners. At my house (and my kid is younger than yours so take what you can) he has to try dinner. one bite of everything. If he doesn't like it he may have cheerios or something else cold and easy to make (so far its cheerios but hopefully one day he will branch out). I would not make them something else. But yes, they need to at least sit with you. Dinner time isn't just for food. It builds the relationship.
    GageWsMom

Answer by GageWsMom at 10:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I tell my kids they either eat what I made or nothing at all, they end up eating it and really likeing the food. They are ages 8, 5 and 2.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• negociate a good desert if they eat it
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Sorry, but I believe in giving kids the freedom of saying No. They like routine, things they expect, things they understand. A completely different dinner out of the blue may be delicious to adults, but kids don't always go by taste alone. I would say follow the one-bite rule, and for the youngest wouldn't expect him to sit at the table while I'm eating (their bodies don't like to sit that long) and for the oldest child, sit at the table, but have other food to eat and still have a family-style conversation. My son says no to a lot of stuff - sometimes to food he used to love to eat, but then reminds me that he'll eat it when he's older. If I force these foods on him now and turn it into a battle, he'll be less likely to be adventurous with foods in the future when HE's ready to try new stuff.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009