Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can a mom deny a paternity test from the dad/her ex

my cousin is having a baby in a few days and her ex/baby daddy is giving her ten kinds of crap about this all. she dont want him to be in the babys life. I know him and know he is scum!! he deserves nothing to do with this child. can she deny him a paternity test/custody/rights??

Answer Question

Asked by sarahdicksonjr at 10:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Relationships

Level 17 (3,789 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • She can deny a paternity test I know for a fact. The mother has to consent to that and if she does not they will not perform it. As for paternal rights, I'm pretty sure she can deny him the right to sign the birth certificate which will give him no parental rights? If there is some reason that is legit why she doesn't want him in the baby's life, i.e. he is abusive, does drugs, etc. if for some reason he got the courts involved, all she would have to do is show evidence of this and he will be denied all rights to the child.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Not if he goes through the court system.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Nope, sure can't. She should have thought of that before she slept with him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Do not punish the child because she doesn't like him. She must've liked something at some point. I hope he goes to court to get paternity established

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • If you feel he's a danger to you or the baby then I would see an attorney and make sure you have full custody. Then if he wants his rights he will have to go through the courts to have it established. Then he will have to prove to the court, and not you that he's worthy of being in the baby's life.. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • well. I failed to mention he has another kid that he pays no C/S ans when he does see her its cause the mother needs a sitter and drops her it his moms house where he lives. no job. not looking for one. 28 years old

    Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 10:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • dad's have rights and if he thinks he is the father he can go to legal aid and have the court compel her to get the test done. Whether or not the court orders it is another question.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Child support and seeing his child are 2 different things. I'm sure she knew about all this before they got together.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • It doesn't matter if he pays or not....paying has nothing to do with visitation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • You should think about the child... when they are little it won't mean much to not see their real dad but after they get older they will want to KNOW their real dad. You can make the real dad take a drug test before he takes the child if that is an issue. As far as child support goes if the dad is someone who has no initiative to work then I would recommend the new mommy to make arrangements to learn a skill to take care of her and the baby without him. My daughter is in a similar situation and she is 23wks pg. She has decided not to put the daddy on the birth certificate but allow him to be in the childs life as long as he can pass a drug test. No drug test then no visit! It will be a sad day for your cousins child to grow up never knowing the dad and they WILL find him when they are grown to meet him. She should just keep control of the situation and set standards for visitation... and then enforce them. Good Luck!

    Answer by Granna2006 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.