Asking because of the satan thread.....

I'm just curious after reading the "satan to be their god" thread. What exactly is a satanist? I thought it was someone who worshipped the devil. This is a serious question asked out of curiosity. Thanks in advance. (I promise not to pray for all of the satanists who answer..Well maybe just one prayer, lol! Just kidding!)

Littlebit722

Asked by Littlebit722 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not one, but I know a little about Satanism.

The majority of Satanists don't believe in Satan (though some do). Instead, they believe they are their own rulers. It's about accepting our human nature, IMO.
    Anonymous

• Thanks. I wonder why they call it satanism then? To me that always implied worshipping satan.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm not sure, but I've always thought it was kind of a snub to the Christians.  Like, "haha, in your face, what do you think of that?"  But I could be completely wrong...

Anonymous

• the word satanist is used to deter outsiders. nothing wrong with that, thats a smart move on their part
    Anonymous

• I know there are actual Satanists on this forum...they must be in bed now. :-/
    Anonymous

• Why would they want to deter people?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There are different variations of Satanism, and just like Christianity, there are different sects wtihin them.

This is a basic breakdown of the different major groups. (that's a link to Religious Tolerance, so it's not going to take you somewhere creepy)

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't think they seek to deter as much as to filter those who seek to follow that ideology; sorry if I'm gettint his wrong Satanists, just my understanding. I think they want people to be independant thinkers & individualists and not sheep, again just my understanding.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• NotPanicking, thanks. So are there people on here that are the satanists that actually worship satan, the enemy of God?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

No. The only Satanists I've come across here don't believe in God or Satan at all.
    Anonymous