i'm past my breaking point with my dog

he is the dumbest thing. i work with him, and he does not listen, or learn. i've tried treats, schedules, I can't find a school avilable for him.

what do i do?? hes a smart breed. blue healer/ aussie mix.

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pets

• How old is he? What are his specific issues? Maybe if you gave more details we can help out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• How old is he? How long have you had him? Exactly how are you training him? Any other pets in the house? Who is training him, you alone or????
    Anonymous

• Don't give up....have you tried watching the Cesar Millan's "DOG WHISPERER?"

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/ contact him...I'm sure he can help you and film for his show!

Wouldn't Hurt.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 10:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Have to agree....a few more details please. I've trained a few dogs...and I can tell you what worked for me if you tell me the issues.
    Anonymous

• he is about 5 months old (i've had dogs a lot younger house trained before then).
    any freedom he has, he uses the bathroom. i've had him since january. he is the only animal in the house. it had new carpets, so there are no other animal smells at all.
    Its just me as my husband is deployed.
    Anonymous

• Do you use a crate? I used a crate with all of mine...and 5 months is still pretty young. I put my puppies in the crate. I let them out in the morning and take them out right away. Then I feed them and take them for a long walk...usually 3 miles by the time they are 5 months....then they come home and crash in their crate for several hours. When they wake up, I take them out again right away. Then I keep them out of the crate for about an hour and play with them or watch them while they play. I block them into the room that I am in so I can watch them. If they start to go on the floor I scoop them up and outside. I take them out again before they go back in their crate. I will try to take them out every hour and have them out to play for several hours. At 5 months they should be able to go all night without using the crate. My 3 yo lab didn't get fully housebroken where I could trust her until she was 8 mths.
    Anonymous

• yes. he is in a crate when he isn't outside.
    i've tried to let him out and stay in the same area as me, but he'll look right at me, and squat. i don't know what to do. . .
    Anonymous

• Hmmm....maybe you should have him checked by a vet. If he's staring right at you he may not have control yet. Does he pee in the crate? Does his pee smell too strong? Is it just pee or does he crap everywhere too? If he is healthy, I would take his water away. Let him have a cup or a little less every time you put him in the crate...except at night when you won't be taking him out. He won't get dehydrated. If he has less, he'll pee less until he can control his bladder. Also, google the breed. Some breeds take longer to train. Beagles are harder, for example.

If he's also crapping on the floor...do you feed him one big meal or several small meals a day? I fed my puppies twice a day until they were trained. They didn't get free access to their food until they were trained. Hope this helps. It can be frustrating, I know.
    Anonymous

• The only time i ever let a pup have any kind of free access in the house is if I know they have just gone pee and poo outside and I have seen it with my own two eyes. This sets them up for success. Keep using the crate if you cannot be watching him, and take him out ON LEASH to the same area of the yard and praise and treat the second he finishes going potty. Reward every time to reinforce that outside is the place to go. Take him out after he naps, plays, eats, or drinks, every time. Take him out every 15 minutes or so when he is loose in the house with you. Also, check out these books on positive training methods: The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, The Culture Clash, by Jean Donaldson, and Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. excellent training advice, common sense solutions for issues.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i think some one who calls their dog "the dumbest thing" should think about giving him to someone who cares...just letting u know i dont normally diss people but man..you should love ur pets
    Anonymous