• In the Spotlight:

Would you date somebody who has OCD?

IMO I don't think there is problem dating someone who has OCD as long as his condition does not interfere as the relationship progresses.
How do I know about his OCD? rumors: he does not shake hands, he washes hands constantly...I don't see a problem here. But i was wondering since I do not know about this condition is there something else to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I have OCD. For some it can be debilitating. For me, it just keeps me focused. I have the cleanest desk at work. I live by lists. I don't have issues with handwashing, but I do need to check things constantly...like are my keys still in my pocket...even though they were 1 minute ago and I didn't take them out, lol.

If it gets too bad, he can take drugs to control the symptoms. OCD isn't dangerous as far as I know...but it can be irritating to live with...for him and for you. You have to ask yourself if his rituals drive you too crazy to be around him. If they do, then ask him to get meds. If he won't, then the relationship won't last. You'll get fed up. But if these are his only symptoms...it doesn't sound bad. And it will get worse in times of stress.
    Anonymous

• Thank you anon for your sincerity.
    Anonymous

• It is so weird you asked this question- I just read in the Sunday Cape Cod Times a story about a man who has OCD. You could probably look it up on-line. It was really interesting. I have never read about it before and this man told his life story and how he deals with it now. Check it out.

P.S. = This is in MASS. Last Sunday.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009