When will my baby sleep through the night, or any tips to make him sleep longer at night?

I recently started adding a small amount of cereal to my son's formula to help him sleep longer at night, but it does not seem to be working. I need to go back to work and fear it will be very hard with a five week old who gets up every 3-4 hours to eat! Any tips on how to get him to sleep longer, or even through the nigth?

lilmama31709

Asked by lilmama31709 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No sleeping after 5pm, keep him up until bedtime and that will help him sleep better through the night. With both my kids at 3 months we were letting them have two naps and after 5pm there was no naps, so bedtime came around and they were out for most of the night. They both woke up for 1 bottle and thats about it!! Try it!! Also make sure he's eating enough during the day.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 10:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Try giving them water..I know it sounds odd but it worked for me.
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 10:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• a warm bath and steady routine worked for me, also no playing where he sleeps so he can associate that space with bedtime. good luck honey!
    nikalotta20

Answer by nikalotta20 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i was told to not expect a baby to sleep thru the night until 4 months at least. i went back to work with my daughter when she was 5 weeks... u just power thru it!!!!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 11:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My little girl slept through the night ever since I had her. Seriously, no lie. Even at the hospital, she only woke up at 5 am, though. Probably a total of 4 times she woke up at 3 am to eat, then went back to sleep. And she is 4 months old now. I didn't have to do anything. But I think she is a really rare case. :-)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• A five week old should be getting up every 3-4 hours to eat. Sorry. You may start getting one longer stretch at the beginning of the night around that time... But if your baby isn't even that old yet, you should be feeding on demand including through the night. you can start with the first feeding of the night and give a pacifier to see if he goes back to sleep without milk... but I wouldn't start this until 6 weeks or so... not saying "cry it out" or anything, but sometimes offering the pacifier helps them to go back to sleep for a little while longer for that first stretch.
    It isn't good, or safe even, for baby to get cereal in the bottle. Especially not at the age of your baby.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i am in your same boat, rice cereal and all. it doesn't work. i think the babies will do as they want but not sleeping after about 7 or so is good and then at 8 giving a bath and then a feeding should do a little something to tire them out. it works for me sometimes and sometimes not. i go back in 6 weeks and i hope its a drastic change by then, she is 7 weeks right now. but my doctor said DO NOT give them water, it can really off set their sodium level and trick their bodies into thinking they are dehydrated, not good. so don't give them water.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 11:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• little ones want to eat every three to four hours for several months so honestly there isn't much that can be done about it. Just try to stick to a bedtime routine and hopefully things will play out from there in your favor.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 12:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Wish? I was miserable when my son wouldn't sleep through the night, then all of a sudden at 3 months, one night he just did, and he's been doing it ever since! He takes 2 naps during the day, each about an hour long, and then he sleeps from 8:30 PM, to at least 8:30 am.......Good luck!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The cerial does not seem to be working because that is a HUGE myth that cerial in the bottle helps them sleep longer, I know a lot of moms will disagree with me but ive done tons of research and then had 2 different pediatritians tell me that it was a myth....babies just usually start to regulate there sleep better at a certain age, usually when folks start solids or putting cerial in bottles and folks just think its the food but its just normal development for the baby.
    It can also be a choking hazard so please rethink putting it in the bottle and if you have to give the cerial, do it with a spoon, its much safer that way but its best to wait until babies are at least 6 months old before you start solids.
    Your baby is still little yet and I think its unrealistic for anyone to expect a small infant to sleep through the night. My 2nd did at 3 months but that was just the type of baby he was, I never pushed it or expected it.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009