What are you naming the baby? (rant)

Why is it that everyone asks what your going to name your baby? Like its really any of their business... But then on top of that when you choose a name and start telling ppl it, they always feel entitled to give you their opinion. Again, like it really matters.

My husby and I decided to name our baby boy Ephraim Nathaniel and we constantly get the "Oh, that's interesting." That's jsut a nice way to say they don't like it. I hate that. Just tell me what you think. I'd rather you just be freakin honest. But even if you don't like it, I do and I'm naming my child. Not you.

I've even had some family tell me that they refuse to call my baby Ephraim. That they'll call him Nate. I don't freakin think so!?! You'll call him by his given name. When and if he gets older and decides he wants a nickname then fine but just call him what I name him...augh. I hate ppl.

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 10:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• lol, I love the name, (not that it matters :D!) Very unusual, but old fashioned, and full of roots. It's delightful!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You are funny.... Well, I hope you feel better. :)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yeah i know what you mean...i like the name that you chose..i know it doesn't matter...i was going to name this baby Mathew Thomas...and my oldest DS name is Johnathan David...i kept getting asked if i was a bible thumper by ppl i knew...i was like umm whatever...but then i changed his name to Keagan Thomas...i just ended up liking keagan better...and i still get ppl trying to get me to change his name...im like no i like this name and its staying ...it annoys me too
    Anonymous

• It only gets worse... I have an 8 month old and when I'm in the baby isle with other moms it's becomes oh how old is he?, Wow he's big for that age,how much does he weigh?, Did you have in naturally? I'm like are you my family? Do I know you? Nope so why does it matter how I gave birth to my child or how much he weighs... Drives me nuts! UGH! I totally understand
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• LOL i agree with that. I dont think everyone who says its interesting means they dont like it tho. Maybe they really do think its interesting. I have never heard the name before, and thats why i think its a good name! What you choose to name your child is your desicion, and damn right even if you named your child DUH they should still call him that LOL. But ok I wasn't going to tell ne one this but i cant keep it in. I dont want too many ppl liking the name and naming their babies this bc i like unique names. I hated someone having my name.... its MINE *L*. If I have a girl I want to name her Jazlyn Rianne. I never heard of Jazlyn and i think i made it up. :)
    Anonymous

• Oh...people just like to discuss babies. I was never bothered by these questions. I've told people that I didn't know that their children were cute. And I've commented on an unusual name...not in a rude way but an interested way before. Why get defensive? None of it matters and it isn't a comment on your parenting. Women just like to compare baby stories.

The reality, nobody really cares what you name your kid, or how you had the baby or anything else really. They're just being social. If you really care, just say it's none of your business. A tactless response that will embarrass someone who was making a harmless social overture...but hey, you'll feel better and what else matters?
    Anonymous

• poeple get on me constantly...we chose Callum for the middle name for our boy, and ill never hear the end-but i figure that if me and my SO canagree on a name, and both like it, then screw everyone else! Its our kid!!!!! and if you have an opinion, KEPP IT TO YOURSELF cause i dont care and its not going to change my mind! Esp. to accomodte your likes/dislikes! if you want to name your kid something else, then go have another one! stop trying to name mine!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 11:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Wow don't get so pissed I don't know how to say the name but if your this mad now his whole life your going to get annoyed if someone comments or can't pronounce it..............
    Anonymous

• A girl in my school is named Jazlin sorry
    Anonymous

• its not mad, and we know what we are going to have to deal with! Its just frustrating....everyone has opinions about EVERYTHING that yo udo, but to me, when its MY child, that I am carrying, no one else hould even think that they have a say so in what I do...i dont mind the comments, or questions, but if its something that they dont like or approve of, then keep it to yourself and dont let me know why you feel that way...im stressed/upset/moody enough as it is! I dont need that too =)
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 11:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009