WARNING: This question NOT INTENDED FOR CHRISTIANS

What do non Christians (of all POV) believe is the source of the severe, punitive minded, fear based proselytizing, that some Christians engage in?
What are the psychological & sociological drives behind it?
Is it totally the byproduct of the religion itself or influenced by other factors?

Again, this is not intended for Christians because I don't seek to offend. If you are an open-minded & thick-skinned Christian please voice your views as well.
If NOT please do us all a favor and keep your answers respectful, or better yet pass the question all together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• IMO a lot of it has to do with the bible. Some parts of the bible speak about having to fear God. Some justify it, by saying inorder to love there must be some form of fear. I find it a little extreme imo. I just see it as a way for them to organize and start a more "civilized community" and justify it by stealing already formed ideas, to create a religion that would help politically, those in high standing during those times. It took over because of the harsh punishments dished out by the leaders that helps erase a lot history and beliefs. Things were destroyed, cultures, people, homes, beliefs, etc. It wasn't until the past thousand years or so that Christianity really became a more loving religion. Although since a lot of the ideas are documented in the bible. some still feel the need to show the more fearful side of the religion.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Christianity has been hijacked by a very vocal minority that don't truly practice the faith. The behaviors that you describe no more represent true Christianity than the suicide bombers represent Islam.
    Anonymous

• What do non Christians (of all POV) believe is the source of the severe, punitive minded, fear based proselytizing, that some Christians engage in?

OP, when you start a question like this it is guaranteed to offend.

I would have been happy to provide some worthwhile insight from a very faithful Christian were it not for the above phrasing.

I will say this though, there is no punishment or fear in my faith.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm not offended and I'm somewhat thick-skinned, So, as one of JW's we go out looking for those who want to hear about God and his Kingdom, Jesus said we were to tell about the Good News, we know that many are not interested though we don't know who or if some may change their minds so we keep going out looking, we're not out there to tell you your bad or make judgments on those who are not interested because the Bible says we are not to judge those outside the Congregation for God will judge those ones. we do tell people what God's word the Bible says IF they are interested. *WHISPER*(sometimes a smile is all we need to think your interested too LOL) I hope I've not offended any of you,
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• OK, you're asking a question that's critical of Christians, about Christians, yet you are asking those who are not even a Christian... how stupid is that!! You say you don't seek to offend, yet you ask a question that is judgmental and offensive... sounds like you're the closed minded one! Here again, we have someone who is speaking in ignorance of something they obviously know NOTHING about.

Anonymous

• OP here, in this I am refering ONLY TO: "the severe, punitive minded, fear based proselytizing, that some Christians engage in?"

What is hard to understand about that?

If you aren't any of those things, I'm not even talking about you.

I specify that I am ONLY REFERING TO SOME Christains.

I'm in no way attacking Christianity or Christians as a whole.

Reread the question.
    Anonymous

• and it wasn't me so I wasn't offended.....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• OP here, lisarose, I'm familar with your beliefs and am NOT talking about JW's preaching door to door. I'm talking about people who put down others faiths and beliefs using fear and the idea of punishment. You are a woman of devout faith (that I don't share but, so what) I'm not talking about devoted Christains. I'm talking about the mentality that drives people to preach out of fear and hate.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, I think some people don't possess the ability to think for themselves. They really seem like they can't. I've seen answers on here where they actually ADMIT they'd follow ANYTHING the bible says no matter what it was. This is really scary. And I've seen people say that without God, they would commit atrocities because no one would be stopping them! There has got to be something different about their brains.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• OP here, I totally hear you, metalcowgirl, but what do you think creates that atmosphere of surrender, that desire to follow blindly rather than think independantly? And to top it off, do so angrily? Sorry, these questions for all not just metalcowgirl :)
    Anonymous