SWEARING---HELP???

my 7 1/2 year old son swears a lot especially around his friends or when he gets really mad,all his friends do it too and it seems to be a habit now,you cant keep them locked up in the house to protect them from all this so what do we do????????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think its pretty common. The world is changing mamma.

But - As long as he knows You dont like it and not to swear at school or infront of granparents ETC your all set.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 11:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• have you told him it really is not 'ok'? with his friends is one thing but in front of you? his mother? Oh no. YOU tell him and his friends "It is NOT ok to disrespect me. I am your mother and you and your friends WILL NOT use profanity while talking in my presents." Now if they are in his room and playing around I wouldnt fret it but like in a common area of your home, or in public NO WAY you call them on it right away. Explain to them you want and deserve respect it....
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When did he start swearing? Why didn't you put and end to it the first time he did it? Why are you allowing him to have friends that swear? You better believe you can keep him locked up in the house as long as he is behaving this way! What are you gonna do when he starts drinking and using drugs with these "friends"? He obviously isn't mature enough to pick the right kind of friends, maybe you should give him a hand. You better get a grip on your son now before you lose all control. You're the parent. Be responsible and parent your child!!! Good grief... he's only 7 1/2 years old, what's gonna happen when he's a teen!!!

Anonymous

• good old fashioned soap...lol and i bet if u did it in front of his friends that would really grasp his attn...at that age it's def not ok to ignore it just cause they know not to do it to you
    2youngones

Answer by 2youngones at 11:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I dunno. My biys have never done that. I would probably have them not hang with those friends, pay a fine each time and memorize Bible Verses. and if that didn't work, I'd add things like loss of other privledges and doing yard work.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It's pretty common, the world is changing? That doesn't make it right for a child to curse.

I'd go with soap or a smack in the mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Oh No!!!!!!!!! I work at a school and when I catch 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, graders saying F%& YOU and throw the ball fag! and today I had to take a boy and girl who were literally fighting because he told her she sucked dick.....are we really supposed to believe they are supposed to know the difference between leaving it at home and not taking it to school or to the grandparents? C'mon!!! They can't even remember their true responsibilities like homework and when to take a shower! I ask the kids "Do you talk like this at home" and they just look away and say no..hmmmm now I wonder if they are covering for thier moms WHO DO LET THEM!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The world would be just as pleasant has it was 150 years ago if we had not gotten lazy with cop out like "it's just a phase", "boys will be boys", etc. 1st keep him away from the friends, if he is with them at school talk to his teachers. 2nd attach a negative to swearing. A friend of mine used to put 2-6 drops (depending on the word) of hot sauce on her sons tongue when he swore. In 2 days he was over it.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:17 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Okay, I do have a similar problem, but my child is a teenager. You don't have control over what he says when hes with his friends or not in your presence. You just don't. I know moms dont like to hear that, but its the truth. Now when hes at home, since hes 7, that should be more than not, then you need to lay the law down about what you expect. IE...in our home, we do not say these words, we are smarter than that, we can think of other synonyms for that emotion, ect. Then when he crosses the line, you punish. If that means taking something away or what not, then fine. Only you can decide what his currency is. You need to make sure that you and others in the home are not saying these words because you are the example. If he hears you do it, then hes going to do it. Bottom line. My teen has picked up on this langauge from kids at school. I told her that I did not want to hear the F word in my home. She keeps it quiet here.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2009