wondering how much you pay for Preschool?

My daughter will be 4 this june, and i was hoping to get her into a preschool. I know nothing about this process, how to find a good one, how much they cost, do they all have waiting lists and if so will she even be able to go? Anyway, i would appreciate any information, especially about the cost.
Thanks so much, hil

hilmom

Asked by hilmom at 11:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 179/month includes a meal is M-F 9am-12pm.. I drop and pick up... Check with your local department of health to make sure the pre school you choose is routinely checked up on... if the school operates less then 3 hours a day they do not need to be checked in most states.. I thinkit is important to know that they have some regulatory agency looking in on them but thats just me
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It really depends on where you live. Here in AZ we usually do enrollment at the end of February beginning of March. Some schools have a waiting list and some don't. We paid $100 for two days a week from 9 to 12. This year we paid $130 for three days a week. This school was on the lower end for price but has been wonderful and also is very small.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Every preschool costs different, my daughter goes for free bc my mom works at hers.... and if its a really good one the list will be long... i dont know that they all have lists tho. i guess its how good they are. But I would do some extensive interviews and choose the right one. I used to work for one and I had to take all kinds of classes and they would tell us horror stories about some of them. Like how they treated the kids badly and grabbed ahold of them... awful. O and show up unannounced and watch how they teach and how they handle the kids. If they have nothing to hide they shouldnt have a problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• why the push for preschool? asking nicely here....I just want to know why moms cannot teach their kids the basics and need to pay for that instead????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son will turn 4 July 30 and will attend Pre-School for FREE!!!!

I live in IL (Suburbs) and most of school offer pre-school for FREE!!! Unless there at daycare where there is a charge. He will attend Mon- Fri from 8 am-2pm. My youngest son who is 2 will still attend daycare until he turn 3 and then off to pre- school.

Right Now, I pay $168 a month for BOTH of them and that includes meals etc

MommyMommy25

Answer by MommyMommy25 at 4:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• To Mother that ask "why the push for pre-school"

It not a push. Surly, most mother's would like to home. Trust of matter is MOST OF US CAN'T AFFORD TO.  I believe that even if your children's attend school/daycare/home day care as a PARENT you should still be home teaching your child.

Children need to be around other kids and it healthy as well. Other's kids shouldn't just included brother's & sister's

MommyMommy25

Answer by MommyMommy25 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My 5 year old is currently attending preschool for free. Universal Pre-K through the school district.

My 3 year old will be attending next fall. He turns 4 in December after the cut off so he can't go to UPK...maybe. lol He is registered for Head Start (of which I'm not a fan...of our local one), and the director of our local CPSE (he has an IEP) is trying to get permission for him to go to UPK anyway..but then he'll attend for two years before starting Kindergarten. If we have to pay, it will run about $250 per month.

As for the "push". His concern is not academic. He's already doing kindergarten work, thank you. His pediatrician and developmental pediatrician believe attending will aid him in his development. He has low motor tone. Being with his peers, more movement, gross and fine activity, in addition to his speech, OT and PT will be of great benefit to him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Are you talking pre-school or daycare? Pre-school should be free with the public school system in your city or town. And they will get a better education because they are state regulated. But it's really not necessary. Take the time to teach them and they will enter kindergarten reading on a second grade level.

As for the being around other kids there are tons of other ways for them to socialize other then sticking them into a daycare or pre-school. Dance, gymnastics, Karate, the park.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My daughter isn't in preschool yet, but she will be come the fall. She will be 4. And it will be free. It is only 2 days a week for 2 hours.

I'm doing it more for social development than anything else. She doesn't spend a lot of time around other kids, other than at the park, and she needs to.

Chrissy, I went to preschool, my parents paid for it. I didn't learn to read in preschool, just did crafts and played with other kids. I got used to being away from Mommy and Daddy (I was also an only child). My mom taught me to read the summer after preschool, but I don't think I was reading on a second grade level. I was the only kid who entered kindergarten that year who knew how to read. We didn't learn that until first grade or so. (continued)

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think it's important for them to learn how to act in a school type atmosphere. Studies have shown that kids who attend preschool are ahead of their peers who don't, in all types of development, when they enter kindergarten.

Things like dance, gymnastics are one day a week for an hour here. That's not enough time for socializing, IMO. Plus, it's very expensive (about $300 per month). And parents of school age children are required to stay with the child. That's not learning how to socialize without your parent there.

Now, parents SHOULD be their very first teachers. From the day they are born they are learning things from us. However, I don't believe that we should be their ONLY teachers until they start Kindergarten. Especially if a parent is SAH. What a shock it must be to go from being with a parent 24/7 to going to school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Why not EASE them into it?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009