How are things for your family in this economy; better, worse, the same?

New home, new car, new tv, anything good? Or oh crap!, laid off, foreclosure, etc.?

Feel free to vent!

We are on the job roller coaster, here today but maybe not tomorrow...

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 11:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We are in the 'oh crap' category. Hubby was laid off in November, supossedly for just 6 weeks, but they keep moving that six weeks back. Then hr found another job in February. However they also keep putting off his start date. So every month we think yay this is the last month on unemployment, then the last week of the month we get a call "sorry but you will not be starting until next month.." hopefully he really will be starting in June, but I am skeptical. We are both still searching like crazy for jobs, but it seems like a lost cause. It has been a miracle that we were prepared enough to make it this long without getting behind on bills and stuff, but we really can not hold on much longer.

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The same.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 11:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We are doing well. My husband got a huge raise and promotion last year. He got another one this year. We are making 50k more than we were two years ago. The current admin has nothing to do with it either my husband has kept himself marketable and valuable to his company.

We are buying a new house and a new car. The car we will pay cash and the house we have 30 percent to put down thanks to years of saving. We live as we always have and my husbands raises all go to savings for our home, retirement, sons college and vacation fund. We will continue to live as we do. My husbands job is necessary so he has some security. If he did lose his job we have enough put away to live as we do now for 4 years. Life is good for us.
    Anonymous

• The same. Nothing has really changed, except that now I pay more for crap.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Much worse, I used to own a higher end retail clothing store that we ran successfully until this year, when we hadn't pulled an income from it for about 6 months, and used up all of our savings. Now I am job hunting in a VERY tough market and have hardly any cushion left.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The same but we have tightened the purse strings and are more cost conscious with the price of basics such as food constantly going up.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The same except we have cut back on our "miscellaneous" spending to be on the safe side. Also trying to budget better & use coupons.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Worse. I got laid-off in December, and my boyfriend got his salary cut by 20%. So, we lost 30k in annual income. I only have $170 in grocery money to last us until May 7th. I have an interview tomorrow, so that is good. 2 maybe 3 of my bills are probably going to go to collections because I cannot afford them; One is about $1,000, another about $45 per month, and another $25 per month. If I was working, they would be small amounts to me. But I got laid-off.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• we are doing really good. we have a new house, new car, I dont even work. but we save and only have what we can afford to pay My husband is in the Air Force so unless he screws up really bad he is secure in his job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Definitely not good, I've lost 2 jobs in 2 years and currently unemployed. I am going to make a huge decision this weekend about going back to school full time, I need to make some kind of change in my life
    sadiesaz1

Answer by sadiesaz1 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2009