Let me tell you!!!

Yesterday Evening my daughter smashed her finger in our door coming on to our porch! This door is very heavy, and it closed very hard...well she was bleeding all over the place, and wouldn't let me clean it to look at it, so I did not know the severity of the situation. Her dad decided to put a bandaid on it... I wanted to rush her to the ER. So after he got the bandaid on, I said "I'm taking her to the hospital" he totally yelled at me, and said it isn't that serious!!! Well I went anyway, he stayed home because he did not want to waste an evening at the ER! She ended up being hurt really bad, her nail was completely detached at the base. :( They had to pry the skin back, push the nail back into place and put 2 stitches in it... I feel so bad for the little girl! She will lose her nail as her new nail grows back. And it will take 3 to 5 months for her nail to be completely back. Can you believe this jackass??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My husband is the same way! WTF? I don't understand it at all! and I work in our Er so we dont pay and we dont wait he still will over look everything and say it can wait or it will get better by itself!! drives me NUTS
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• well one time when i was 5 (maybe 7 i dont know) i smashed my finger in the car door of our chevy blazer and my nail fell off. i didnt get rushed to the hospital and i didnt need stitches (i mean maybe if i went they would have given them to me but this was the 90's)

but you did the right thing for your situation and peace of mind :] i probably would have done the same and my husband would have reacted the same... maybe i would have called first because i make no money and GOD FORBID i spend $100 of my husbands money on the ER *eye roll*
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I also had my finger smashed it the car door, bleeding, etc. No ER. It hurt and my nail is messed up, this was the early 80's and my parents didn't do hospitals unless you are close to death. I think she would have been fine without an ER visit, 2 stitches? That's nothing, it would have healed on it's own soon enough. It's not like her finger fell off. But I'm like your hubby, I wouldn't think it was that serious either, it was just a nail.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am both mom and dad so imagine my dilemma and guilt when I didn't see my son fall off the skateboard and he assured me he was ok and went to school the next day and by 10am I took him to the ER and he had fractured his arm in 3 places. I still get teary eyed when I think about it, I even posted about how I am a horrible mom. I hope hubby learns from experience. ALCIATRON, I have so many scar stories whre my parents thought they could cure it rather then take me to the hospital and this was the 70's!lol
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I appreciate that you took her in and have peace of mind now...and that she is okay.

I wouldn't have gone to the ER. I would have stopped the bleeding, probably wrapped it in gauze for more protection than a bandaid and kept it covered until healed...waiting for the nail to work it's way out.

Now, I probably would have called the doctor's office during office hours, told them what happened and they probably would have told me to bring him (I have boys lol) in to have it looked at. But unless the blood wouldn't stop and they didn't calm down (possible broken bone) I wouldn't have gone to the ER either.

I'm not saying I think you were wrong...just that I personally wouldn't have taken a kid in for a finger in a door.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Actually, the same thing happened to me that happened to your dd, with the exception that I didn't need stitches. I was about 10. My parents also took me to the emergency room.

I think insurance should pay for your child to go. Also, if you are unsure, call the hospital to see what THEY think, since those are the medical professionals.
    Rainbowbrite639

Answer by Rainbowbrite639 at 7:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have to agree with TiccledBlue. I am glad that you have your piece of mind, but I wouldn't have taken my son in. Last year, my 3 year old got his finger caught in the seat of the car, and without thinking I just pulled it out. Well this turned out not to be such a good idea, because I ended up ripping his entire nail off, even the part under the skin. I didn't see much point in taking him to the ER, there isn't anything they could have done that I didn't do. I cleaned it, wrapped it in gauze, and just waited for the nail to grow back. It only took like a month, and he doesn't have any scars from it. You wouldn't even be able to guess which finger it was. He was so brave throughout the whole experience too. Even though it hurt, he sat so still every time I had to clean it, and change the bandages.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I probably wouldn't have taken her either, unless she wouldn't stop crying, it wouldn't stop bleeding or she spiked a high fever (indicating some kind of infection). We have only had 3 ER visits in the almost 9 years we have been parents. 2 for my oldest and 1 for my son and all in the first 3 years we had kids. And 2 of those we left before even being seen because the kids were feeling better.
    Just a few months ago my son tripped and fell into a plastic box and cut his ear all up. It was pretty bad and took a long time to stop bleeding and we debated for 30 minutes whether to take him to the ER or not and decided to wait and see how he was in the morning (and ER visit for us is $100 copay that we didn't have at the time). We put a bandage over his ear and he went to school the next day and was fine. A week later you couldn't even see a scar. Kids are tough.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• That did not require an ER visit. You could have stopped the bleeding, looked at it and wrapped it up. The same healing would have taken place either way. I think you might have overreacted. The key to knowing what to do is waiting to see if it either doesnt stop bleeding, begins to swell beyond normal or is a head injury. A torn fingernail isnt that bad. My daughter cut her middle finger on a furniture staple when she was trying to open the foot rest of a chair. It sliced her finger open all the way down. I wanted to rush her in, but I waited, let it stop bleeding so I could see it and it was a pretty deep cut. I had enough wits about me to know the ER was not where I wanted to go. I took her to an immediate care facility that doesnt charge ER prices and she got 7 stitches. If you ever feel the need for her to be seen, look for an urgent care place. ER is just too expensive.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:05 AM on Apr. 24, 2009