Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is this!?!

My baby was born March 11th. So that makes me 5 1/2 weeks postpartum. My bleeding stopped completely, no yellow or anything, at two weeks postpartum. However, these past 5 days, i have had massive amounts of bleeding, i pass 10-15 mini clots every time i pee, I have been passing large clots now, ranging from a golf ball size to the size of my palm. I soak through 2-3 pads every three hours or less. I have also had bad pain in my lower abdomen, on a scale of one to ten, it is always a 7-8. I have been dizzy sometimes lightheaded and have gotten bad headaches all of a sudden. I also have severe leg/hip pain. My legs go numb and then when i sit or try to get up, they burn, like a level 8 pain everytime. My tailbone also always hurts. I had bad pre eclampsia with this pregnancy as well. I have no idea if any of these pains are normal for postpartum, this is my first child. What could this be?

Answer Question

Asked by moms1stprincess at 11:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • You need to call your doctor, or go to the er. Any clot the size of a golf ball or larger needs immediate attention, bleeding like that alone is enough for you to call your doctor. Call or go now.

    Answer by lilbit837 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • you need to go see your OBGYN Call them now and see if he can meet you at your local hospital they need to check to see if all the placenta came out if it did not you'll need a D&C (thats what it sounds like to me)

    Answer by MELRN at 11:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Well...the bleeding/clots can be normal. If you're scared you could by hyperventilating which could cause the other problems. But if you should probably call the doctor. You can call the hospital maternity ward and talk to the nurses. They should be able to ease your mind...or tell you to go the ER if need be. It's likely nothing...even though it feels scary.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Call your OB/GYN's office or go to the ER. This needs medical evaluation.

    Answer by cjbj08 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • my dr told me to always call him and let him know if i passed a clot the size of my fist or larger and i think the size of your palm qualifies for a call to the dr. good luck!

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • Ooh that doesnt sound good. Have you been exercising or moving around a lot? That can cause the bleeding to start, but the dizziness should concern you. It sounds like your losing too much blood. Anemia could set in, so go see the doc.

    Answer by momofsaee at 9:00 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • um i had a c section and i had the same thing....alot of blood after i stopped bleeding. i called my doctor and he said i had to come in. it is normal to bleed but anytime you have numming you need to go in just to make sure sometimes its from internal bleeding that was made worse over time. so just to make sure go in.

    Answer by airmanswife08 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • hemmorhageing

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • I went to the ER and guess what? Turns out just to be my period, minus the leg and tailbone problem. they couldn't answer that one but my doctor will next time i see her. Some period, huh?!!? Thank you to all you lovely wonderful ladies for encouraging me and help push me to the er, i am a stubborn one!

    Answer by moms1stprincess at 10:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.