Why did Jesus have to die?

I'm not trying to stur up anything, this is a serious question. IDK! And don't be rude and say read the bible, I don't have one. I seriously was wondering that and trying to think back to Sunday school and couldn't think of the answer. I know he died for our sins and everything, but why did he have to? And why at that time? And why didn't the Jews believe he was the son of God? And how did they betray him (only going off of what I was told). Not trying to offend anyone, I don't want to offend any Christians, Jews or any body else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• then the only one who could do what we cannot is God Himself. That is why Jesus is God in flesh. He is both divine and human. He was made under the Law (Gal. 4:5-6) and He fulfilled it perfectly. Therefore, His sacrifice to God the Father on our behalf is of infinite value and is sufficient to cleanse all people from their sins and undo the offense to God.

The following outline is an attempt to break this down, step by step, using scripture and logic. I hope that it helps you understand why God is our savior and not some created thing. Also, I hope that it helps you understand that you must trust in Christ alone for the forgiveness of your sins; that you can do nothing on your own to merit salvation from God.

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• to save you from your sins...he dies so that we didn't hve to...He paid the ultimate price to give us salvation if we choose to accept...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• That doesn't answer my question. I know it was for our sins, but why then and why at all? Why did we need it?
    Anonymous

• they crucified him because, Jesus was the son of god and no one believed him. and he was betrayed when one of his followers denied him. you should go watch the passion of Christ.
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 11:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Basically, the reason Jesus had to die for our sins was so that we could be forgiven and go to be with the Lord. Jesus is God in flesh (John 1:1,14; Col. 2:9) and only God can satisfy the Law requirements of a perfect life and perfect sacrifice that cleanses us of our sins.

All people have sinned against God. But, God is infinitely holy and righteous. He must punish the sinner, the Law breaker. If He didn't, then His law is not law for there is no law that is a law without a punishment. The punishment for breaking the Law is death, separation from God. Therefore, we sinners need a way to escape the righteous judgment of God. Since we are stained by sin and cannot keep the Law of God,
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Before Jesus died for our sins, the only way to receive atonement for your sin was to sacrifice burnt offerings: lambs. Jesus is the ultimate atonement: the sacrificial Lamb.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Jesus became sin for us and bore our sins in His body on the cross, thus fulfilling the Law.
    2 Cor. 5:21, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
    1 Peter 2:24, "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."
    Rom. 8:3-4, "For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh. 4in order that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• In simple terms Adam threw away our chance at everlasting life because he brought upon us imperfection through being disloyal and disobedient, God's only begotten son came and gained back for us though his Loyalty and obedients to God and lost his life when he was without sin he payed the ransom that held us hostage, one perfect life for one perfect life through one perfect man Adam we lost life, through one perfect man Jesus we gain life. I hope this helps you in understanding who Jesus death give us life. I think it's because the Jews at that time were looking for a Victorious King to stop Roman rule, they weren't seeing the whole picture though, JMHO
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It was Judas, a word which also meant "Jew," who supposedly betrayed him.

But, you have to wonder...why was it considered a betrayal? Did Christ not know what he was on Earth to do? Did he not know what would happen?

In the Gospel of Judas (not in the bible), Jesus takes Judas aside and explains to him what he is about to do (turn Christ in). He all but implores him to do it.
    Anonymous

• It's betrayal because Jesus loved Judas and Judas most likely portrayed love for Jesus since he was His disciple. Judas turned Jesus over for a mere 30 shekels of silver. How is that NOT betrayal
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009