What parenting books would be best to read if your a single mother?

I am a soon-to-be single mother at 19 and I heard some parenting books help. Which ones would be the best to read?

AngelaP.

Asked by AngelaP. at 11:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Magic 1, 2, 3, by Thomas Phalan
    The no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley
    and join a local Le Lache League group! Go once a week for a while
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• honestly, dont read the books. talk to your mother or grandmother or a trusted friend. you dont need fancy schmancy books on parenting to know what to do. it may not come naturally but its all new to every first time parent and i promise you will get into the swing of things without books :]

but if you must, go to the library and not the bookstore :]
    Anonymous

• Best baby on the block
    Best toddler on the block
    123 parent magic www.parentmagic.com

Good Luck hun. I haven't actually used the 123 but I recently ordered it!! The other two books had very helpful advice in them though... Why do you say soon to be? Breaking up with the father? Or are you pregnant and the father ran? Just curious...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I thought the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley was very informative. Even if your not currently trying to get a baby to sleep through the night, there's a lot of good facts in it, and it's always helpful to know an infant's sleep cycles. One book to stay as far away from as possible is babywise, do NOT do babywise.

Honestly, I've learned more from cafemom than from any book I've ever owned about parenting :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am so proud of you for wanting to be a good mother; it is a difficult job for all of us, especially teens. After your baby is born, try to meet other parents in the parks and community centers; you life will be so much easier with friends to talk to about your baby and friends to trade child care with you.

Go to your library and get Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton http://www.touchpoints.org/,
    and Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780375700002

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Like other posters have said, start with the Library. Some of it depends on what style of parenting you WANT to have. I also am a single mom and I had no family to turn to (and even if I did, I would STILL choose to read parenting books because there's a lot of information out there that older generations didn't have about child development). I follow the old addage - try everything, retain what is good. Ask yourself some basic questions - what kind of mom do I want to be? Do I approve of spanking as a first resort, last resort or not at all? Different authors have different reasons for supporting their discipline beliefs. Do you have unresolved issues from your past that you think may affect your ability to be a good parent? There are different books for that. Do you want just discipline books or do you want to understand how your child develops? Start with those questions and head off to the library.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I've learned more from experienced moms on cafemom then any book. I joined "breastfeeding against formula unless medically nessasary", "cuties with cloth booties", "non-vaxing" Different group for the kinda mom I wanted to be and they have all helped me as much as possible. Also, attachment parenting.. That's a good group.
    Kristenn

Answer by Kristenn at 11:27 AM on Apr. 24, 2009