how can i help my daughter use the bathroom

my daught is almost three and one time she will want to go to the bathroom and the next she will go tinkle in her pants. i cut down on juice and all. but she will not tell me if she has to go, i have been working with her for almost a year and she still isn't wanting to go.

sixrosa87

Asked by sixrosa87 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do NOT cut down on fluids. Fluids are critical for her health. Let her drink as much water as she wants, one cup of juice, and up to 24 ounces of milk a day. Dehydrated kids get sick more easily... keep her hydrated.

Do NOT wait for her to tell you. She will not tell you until she is willing to stop doing something fun and go do something boring all on her own. What child do you know who will stop playing to do something boring? None.

Help her be a big girl. Simply put her on a schedule. When she goes, set a timer for 2 hours. When it goes off, do NOT ask her if she has to go. Simply tell her it is time to go. If she actually pees, reset the timer for 2 hours. If she doesn't go, set it for 1/2 hour and have her try again.

Keep doing this until she starts to tell you ALL the time or simply starts going all on her own.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My DD only wanted to go because her brother was going and all the other kids at the daycare were. She was 16 months when she was potty trained. She did come to a time when she was about 2 when she didn't want to go any more, the novelty had worn off! lol I wouldn't ask her to go, I just said, "It's potty time." My son would tell me that he didn't have to go. I'd tell him to show me he didn't have to go. lol He'd go stand at the toilet and while he was saying, "See I don't have to pee." he'd pee! lol I just tried to tell them that even if they don't think they have to go they still have to try. I'd set a limit though, I'd tell them they could tell me no they didn't have to pee when they were 4 years old. That worked too.
    Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Your instincts on cutting the juice are correct, but you should replace it with water. Children do not need juice, they do need lots of water (you too, Mom - at least 8 8oz glasses every day). My daughter wore diapers until four, then never had an accident (she started reading at the same time, go figure). Relax with the potty training!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2009