How long does it take for food poisioning to kick in after eating food??

I just went out to a japanese sushi bar for my friends birthday and i ate some cali rolls and spicy tuna crunch rolls and some edamame beans...

that was like an hour ago and i feel really sick to my stomach i havent thrown up yet but i feel like throwing up, i have a huge headache and am really hot and sweaty.

so question....how long does it take for food poisoning symptoms to hit you??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• about 3-6 hours from what I remember.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I really don't know how long it takes. It varies. It doesn't seem like it could take an hour but rather 2-4 hours. Your symptoms really don't sound like food poisoning. I've eaten things that just didn't settle with my stomach well.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Generally about 4 hours. If it's truly bad you will be violently ill and it comes on suddenly, not gradually. Yours sounds a little more like it just didn't agree with you, but you may survive. Let's hope!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Like hopelessnance said, it sounds like it didn't settle well or didn't agree. If it were food poisoning, you'd be violently ill if it struck within an hour. I can't eat out a lot because I have that problem.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• yeah i agree with hopelessnance! i hope its nothing though!!!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I agree with the others. Most sushi is also cooked, so it's not raw. Especially California Rolls, never had spicy tuna crunch rolls though.It's possible the tuna was raw, but California Rolls have crab meat or imitation crab meat, and they are cooked. It's possible for it to go bad, but the chances of getting sick are drastically reduced just from cooking it. Raw is really the issue.Hope you feel better. It's possible it's the MSG too. I ate a very expensive Japanese restaurant and everyone had stomach problems for a little bit afterward due to the MSG.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 12:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• 4 hours...there are worse things to worry about with sushi than food poisoning...you can get worms...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son ate past due milk (oops, my bad) and I put it in his oatmeal. 10 minutes later he threw it up. Now he's 2, so it may take longer in adults. Whenever I get sick from food poisioning it's pretty quick because my stomach is sensitive...
    I'd say you just either ate too much or getting used to the MSG like s.teph said.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 1:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2009