When someone is rude with you, have you ever bit your tongue and not told them something back?

I did this today. I did it because I am trying to work on humility and being an adult. Unfortunately, it is still bothering me. What do I do now?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I do it all the time and it nearly kills me!!! at least you're the adult
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I agree with Breezy. I bite my tongue more than I like to admit. I suppose one day I'm just going to snap!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Exactly. I keep telling myself that I would feel worse if I was the one who was being rude but it is not really helping. I guess it takes time to get used to not feeling like you have to defend yourself at every level. I am a little proud that I didn't stoop down to her level though.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I work in retail, its an everyday occurance. lol
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I do this all the time to be honest with you. When I was waitressing as a teenager, everyone treated me like crap because I was a young waitress. When I worked in the ER and was a nursing student, all the nutty ER people would scream and curse at me. Even now as a Social Worker I'm helping people when they're not at their best. When you're on the clock, you can't insult people back lol.

I just apply that in my every day life now. It's too exhausting to get into it with people. I let them rant and rave and in the end, they do themselves in by looking stupid. Do I always feel like I should have gave them a piece of my mind? Oh yes! But looking back I know I looked classy.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm a very implosive person, I will hold it all in, until you push that certain button! Then you will get it all at once!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I usually do because I am non confrontational and I don't want an argument.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• This happened to me 3 days ago and im still upset I am usually good about these situations but Im still upset and thinking of writing a letter to the store where i received bad service.
    KaynMadismom

Answer by KaynMadismom at 1:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• lol, what I do is rant and get it all out of my system, but I do it in private.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:11 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have to do this daily with my husband
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2009