i need your guys' advice.

so right now im pretty much a SAHM, living with my parents. i always have absolutely no money, and my only source of income is child support.. which comes only about once a month because my son has a deadbeat dad. which means im living off my parents and WIC. i can't get a job because school starts in a couple months and ill be going 5 days a week. and i thought about working 2nd or 3rd shift somewhere but that can't happen because my parents will be working as well and they usually babysit. and there's no way im letting his father babysit, he forgets to feed my son. i was thinking of not going to school for a while and just getting a part time job to save some money but im not sure. i need advice!!

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:11 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The thing is if you dont go back to school now you probably wont do it. You could get a part time job in retail or something like that. Most places are pretty good about working around your school schedule. If nothing else you can get a job for a few months, that will give you a little head start before school starts again. If your parents are willing to help you out until you finish school i'd let them. Its going to be a lot harder to do later.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• okay well....... if your parents help put then YES GO TO SCHOOL! school is great i love it its so enlightening to me, but if i didnt have parents AND a husband to lean on to (my parents pay for my junior college and my husband watches our son while i do homework) then i would probably lean towards taking a semester off and saving if you believe you can save money (i cant im SO bad with money)

honestly i believe every young woman should go to school but i cant speak for everyones situation! i hope you find something that works for you, and know that most junior colleges offer online programs!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• sorry help out not help put, im tired :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:17 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I probably should have mentioned that I am a fulltime student/single parent. However, my parents dont help out. Its tough but you can do it!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• if you had a job you could try for coordinated child care provided by the state.. but you have to have a job to apply.Maybe ask a friend or something to help you out for a few months? Have you thought about preschool or daycare or something? That would eat up a few hours.You could try pricing private daycares .. like in-home. I found one that was offering $120 a week for 40 hours! That's cheap... especially for a newborn. (granted I ended up not needing it)

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 1:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i know some ppl would rather not. but if its your last resort, why not apply for PA.
    you can continue with school, they'll pay for child care and you'll have a source
    of income, and foodstamps... not much, but it helps.
    whenever you're finished with class it should be much easier finding work. Atleast
    you wont have to depend on ppl as much.
    just food for thought.
    gud luk with your choice:P
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 1:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'll tell you the same thing I'm telling my own kids right now....education is your ticket to a future. If at all possible go to school....it may be hard while your in school, but when your done you can have a real life for you and your child.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:48 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I should be sleeping! LOL! I hope I can help you! I was divorced years ago, living on my own, with my 2 year old son. He was in daycare all day while I worked at a clothing factory, then he was stuck with a sitter all evening while I went to school. We were always broke, I remember that he thought McDonald's was like a trip to Disney!
    Anyway, have you thought about going to college on line? I know some people think it's like a hoax, but believe me, there are legitimate colleges offering on line schooling! And you can get Federal financial aid! And you won't need a sitter! You do your courses on YOUR time. At my school, we have live chats which are optional. I just wrote a 1500 word paper earlier tonight, no problem! I graduated last May with my Associates and I am 7 classes from my bachelor's degree! If you would like more info, feel free to contact me!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Just as an aside ... Child Support generally only comes in once a month. I don't think that qualifies him as a deadbeat dad. Unless he's only giving you $20 or something once a month...

Be glad you're getting anything from him. I know a lot of women who would be thrilled to get CS once a year...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 5:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I never got a penny of support for my three kids after being married to him for 15 yrs. Never count on a man to do right by his children. Go to school while you have the support of your family, it is the only way to a better life for you and your child. Don't wait and do it without support and three mouths to feed like I did...it was sooooo hard! Get your education and make a better life!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009