newborn wont stop screaming

my baby screams every night from 10:30 to 2am. she is fed, she is changed. we rock her and walk with her and still she screams. does anyone have any tips or have any experience with this?

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 1:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like colic.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm so sorry honey! My son went through this too! I bought a swaddler and a sound machine and it saved my life!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It does sound like colic u should buy some infants medicine for it!just to try it out!my first child would cry too but i didnt know wat it was then whenever he would release gas he would cry like idk wat was going on then i was told it was colic!does she burp all the time after every feeding because my child got it im assuming because my kid would take forever to burp after i would feed him @ night to the point where i would end up falling asleep b4 he burped!
    AnaKV

Answer by AnaKV at 1:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• How old is your baby?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• she is a little over a week old. we tried the pacifier, brining her in the next room when its dark and quiet. rocking her on the couch, rocking her on the glider, talking to her and singing and walking and dancing with her. she is fine during the day all day and then at 10:30 like clockwork it hits. she farts and poops all day long so i thought that meant she was able to release the gas.
    charlene29

Answer by charlene29 at 2:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No, and actually overfeeding can cause colic as well. Monitor how much she is eating, it is normal for an infant that is uncomfortable to want to nurse more then is neccesary and make it worse. I did both, nursed and bottlefed. My two oldest kids had severe colic. One of the things that helped us was knowing which hold helped. Look into baby massage also. Try laying her stomach down, head at your elbow, so her stomach is resting on your wrist and her feet are tucked up.. knees bent feet in your hand. (Face down on your arm) See if that helps, the pressure of the wrist against the tummy helps. One of the things we found helped too was having Dad hold them. Dad doesn't smell like milk so baby doesn't cry extra wanting to nurse.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Earplugs to block some of the noise.. LOTS of cuddling, warm bath (if she's old enough to have other than a sponge bath) other than that.. hang in there. Being a new parent is tough work hang in there everything will get better :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:27 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You can't overfeed an exclusively breastfed baby. If you use any kind of supplement (bottle, syringe, whatever), then you can.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:37 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i know this sounds silly, but try vacuuming with her around you or the sound of a hair dryer or water running. that ALWAYS soothes my daughter. try it out. but stay calm, your baby tends to sense and overwhelming you have and any stress you have and it sometimes causes them to be fussy like that also.
    good luck :) give lots of huggies and kisses as well.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You cannot over feed any baby, breast fed or formula fed. If you do attempt to over feed, they spit it back up.

Some babies have a witching hour. My oldest boy did it at 6pm-9pm every night for about 6 weeks. That was a LONG 6 weeks. Our pediatrician said it's not colic because colic is more 24 hours, not just a set number of hours. (Colic and "gas" trouble are also two different things)

Tell the doctor about it at your next visit. It's not that they can really do much about it, but he may have a couple of somethings he can check, and it will be in her record so they'll see how long it lasts, etc. (document everything! lol)

Try not to get stressed as 10:30 approaches each night. It's tough, I know. Sleep a little more during the day so you'll have enough steam to make it to 2am. Take turns with your husband so you don't start getting angry (which is normal). If need be,
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:31 AM on Apr. 24, 2009