What do you think of when you hear "Homesteading"?

I consider myself to be homesteading. We garden, hunt, handwash, cloth diaper, no outside connected TV (we do have DVDs, though), and we do a couple other things that are considered homesteading. When we get our own place (we live in an apartment at the moment), we'll be slowly adding more to our definition of "homesteading." I was wondering what others thought of the word and what it means.

Kenre

Asked by Kenre at 1:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Little House on the Praire comes to my mind.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 1:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Homesteading still happens here in the northwest. There are people who are allowed to keep the land if they are able to make it work for them. You do sound like you would be a good candidate for homesteading, but I don't think of you as a homesteader yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Generally when someone says the word, the first thing that comes to my mind is a Pilgram or Amish type of person(s) who is/are pretty self sufficient in the sense that they are able to live off the land; tries to shut out or distinguish themselves from the rest of the world by living the way way people did in the past (like the 1800's and early 1900's) instead of the embracing some of the modern conviniences.
    KapoleiMommy

Answer by KapoleiMommy at 1:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I can't remember the name of it, but I saw a movie when I was a kid where the family went out west and lived in the mountains because their daughter had real bad asthma or allergies. The wilderness family? Anyway, that's what it makes me think of, and I would love to go live like that! I wouldn't miss the TV one bit!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:59 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• 12:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 by: Anonymous

I agree. We're not totally there yet. I can't just up and move my family as of yet to a homestead, because DH would divorce me. It was pulling teeth to make him give up TV time, let me handwash the clothes, garden in a rented plot of land, and even use some of our oil lamps. I have to move him slowly to the way of life that is healthy for us, and not just yank it out from under him. He'd crack mentally. We're getting there, though, and I hope to be able to live the way I have dreamed to in a few more years.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 2:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have to be honest and tell you that for me, "Homesteading" has a TOTALLY different meaning. The first thing I think of is a military family that applies to "homestead", meaning instead of moving every few years, they settle in one place, usually somewhere with a high density of military / military bases, and they just rotate between being assigned at those Commands, not leaving the general geographic location, so they can settle, or "homestead" there.

I'm not bringing this up as an attack on your choice, or as an attempt to hijack your question. I just thought it was interesting how one fairly innocent word can have so many different meanings / bring so many different images to mind, depending on where the hearer is coming from with their own life experiences :-)

Good luck with ultimately achieving your dream of living the way you want to :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• 1:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 by:

* sailorwifenmom

Coming from the military, I know what you mean. When I first heard MIL say she was a homesteading wife, I thought: But you were never a military wife... how could you be a homesteader. Researching more, though, I've found it does mean more like a person who lives frugally off of their own resources. It generally means to live by ones own means, but it also means to live in one area and stay. So, taking both of them, the second one would apply to military families.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 2:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Kenre,

Yeah, I know, lol, we're stationed in the Pacific Northwest and there are people who homestead in both senses up here(though I don't know any one person that does both of them).

But the living off the land definition isn't the first one that comes to my mind when I hear it :-)

I just think it's neat how so many things can mean so many different things to so many different people, bringing so many different things to mind, but all of them speaking the "same language" - even if only in the strictest sense, if that makes sense :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Homesteading: stealing land from the native americans or who ever claims it now and calling it your own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Sounds cool but where on earth do you handwash in an apartment? Oh and anon, most intellegent people realize that what our forefathers did to the Native Americans was criminal to say the least, let's not take it out on people who were born 150 yrs after the fact k? Are you Native American? Did you have your apartment stollen by the OP?
    Anonymous